NGC book

Burnham's is an amazing trio of books, but the index is very brief and doesn't contain any NGC numbers, and the whole collection is arranged by constellation, so hunting for specific NGC numbers would be very time consuming unless the constellation is already known.

James

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the suggestions are going down well and Observing and Cataloguing Nebulae and Star Clusters seems like the best choice, however I can't seem to see this on amazon for under a tenner like people are mentioning, I only see it for around £130!! Does anyone have a link to the 'under a tenner' one?

As for why the book, Im just after one resource that I can use to plan my imaging sessions, and maybe find a hidden gem every now and then that might go un-noticed by the many.

Rich

It was on Amazon @ £8.00 plus usual postage from the States, so I placed an order. Accepted and a few hours later a note saying dispatched. Wonderful, but then I thought someone is going to lose out with postage for a book of that weight and size, too true,  the following day credit note from the seller, advised "incorrect accounting" whatever that is supposed to mean.

But it also goes to show that these traders don`t dispatch when they say they have, something to watch for the future me thinks :mad:  

John I've never had that problem with abe as recommended above.  I suppose as an aside, I have looked several times at amazon but was never encouraged to buy with the website design, the prices stated etc.  I'm at a stage where I prefer to buy from Germany usually regardless of language skills required - even though more expensive.

michael

Abebooks charges a subscription fee to see books; Amazon Marketplace takes a percentage of the sale price. I think it is easier to list books on Amazon Marketplace as the seller just has to enter the ISBN and indicate the condition of the book and then it is largely done. I can see how errors can occur with listing the wrong books. Many books I've looked at before are often listed on both Abebooks and Amazon Marketplace with the same seller, so clearly some sellers use various sites to advertise their stock, and as such there is always a risk that someone else buys the book you want from a different website before the one you are looking at gets updated. I seldom buy any books brand new these days, I just need more book shelves now :)

James

Over the years I have amassed a very large collection of old and rare books on a variety of subjects. I always start my searches using BookFinder.com which then takes you to links on Amazon (all countries), ABE, Alibris, Biblio, etc. I can't recall a single instance of ordering a book from an Amazon seller that then  didn't turn up as expected. I've just joined the race to order a copy of Observing and Cataloguing Nebulae and Star Clusters so hopefully this isn't my first fail on that score!! :confused:

Abebooks charges a subscription fee to see books; Amazon Marketplace takes a percentage of the sale price. I think it is easier to list books on Amazon Marketplace as the seller just has to enter the ISBN and indicate the condition of the book and then it is largely done. I can see how errors can occur with listing the wrong books. Many books I've looked at before are often listed on both Abebooks and Amazon Marketplace with the same seller, so clearly some sellers use various sites to advertise their stock, and as such there is always a risk that someone else buys the book you want from a different website before the one you are looking at gets updated. I seldom buy any books brand new these days, I just need more book shelves now :)

James

Should have read that abe books charge a fee to to sellers; not to buyers. Iphone typo, sorry.

According to Amazon mine was despatched on Thursday, so might be here tomorrow.

Slightly ahead of you on this, Amazon dealer advised copy dispatched last Tuesday, I will not hold my breath either, I have a feeling chances of it arriving are similar to a clear night and we do not get many of them of late either :)

Excuse the side track. Just a heads up, if any have been interested in the new Star Atlas " Interstellarum Deep Space Atlas" Robert Stoyan, published August last year, spiral bound and colour coded, with telescopic object capabilities shown, using from 4" to 12" instruments, stars to mag 9.5. It could be the first publications will shortly run dry and it will be out of print. I have come to this conclusion, after researching this back through Cambridge. U. Press, who had "look inside" feature of this atlas only a week or so ago, it is now no longer shown in their publications list. One on order now for Christmas, Wife don`t know it yet, but it will be a nice gift for her to buy, I hope, choppy seas ahead guys, perhaps :)

My delivery time has now expired, contacted seller and received the usual  "so sorry it has not arrived letter" next, I expect, will be the reply with an offer of a refund and that will be the end of the sorry matter  :mad:  IMHO I think they have realised their mistake in offering a hard back book of 660 pages, taking into account weight and value, at such a low price, that sales were stopped  :evil:

I've had an email saying that the book was despatched and that it should arrive by tomorrow. I suspect it won't.

I am struggling to see what the game is here. Amazon sellers have to refund the money if things don't turn up. What would they be gaining by pretending to have books that don't exist?

I'm betting it has been shipped, but by U.S. postal methods for "Printed Matter." This goes by the slowest routing possible. Cheaper than 'Book Rate' post, which is painfully slow as is - even from one state to another here. Then figure in your Customs, VAT, security to make sure it isn't ticking, and any other delays they can think of!

So don't hold your breath. But you will likely get it. Or your Grandchildren will.

Dave

If you recall, of my early two orders, of which one cancelled and the other sent me the wrong book (which was a kids book called "super fly guy" or soemthing), well the secretary at work who opens my post at my request messaged me yesterday to say "two books have arrived; why do you want childrens books about a fly", which suggests two other orders I'd placed have materialised i to the super fly guy book - a cateloguing error at Amazon's end I suspect.

So I'd bet none of us will get the correct book for a tenner. But then hopefully everyone knew it was a gamble.

Sellers should make a full refund including return Postage, so open parcels carefully so they can be re-used.

James

My delivery time has now expired, contacted seller and received the usual  "so sorry it has not arrived letter" next, I expect, will be the reply with an offer of a refund and that will be the end of the sorry matter  :mad:  IMHO I think they have realised their mistake in offering a hard back book of 660 pages, taking into account weight and value, at such a low price, that sales were stopped  :evil:

Just a note for info. At the time I placed an order, there were two offers by Amazon subsidiaries, one from the States the other Messrs OOdals, based in the UK, I chose the more expensive UK offer plus usual standard p&p costs which came to something over £5, more chance of delivery and expectations were high :)

Just a note for info. At the time I placed an order, there were two offers by Amazon subsidiaries, one from the States the other Messrs OOdals, based in the UK, I chose the more expensive UK offer plus usual standard p&p costs which came to something over £5, more chance of delivery and expectations were high  :)

I also ordered from OOdals, John. I emailed them a couple of days ago and they assured me it was on its way. They have an excellent feedback rating on Amazon so I still don't get what would be in it for them to intentionally deceive. Very strange.

Archived