NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC book

Thanks for the kind offer Derek, but I will leave it to you, to give myself and James the rundown on the book, once it arrives. I have had Dreyers NGC 2000.0 book for a few years now, the only trouble if you do not use it on a regular basis, is, deciphering the coded descriptions of the objects for each NGC number, you tend to forget, if you do not use it for sometime. I am hoping the new book will at least provide a written description of each NGC item.

I think I was charged something over £5 with Amazon via OOdals, which included the usual mandatory £2.80 postage. OOdals have been in touch today and the sorry saga continues, they now request all details about the Fly book, wonderful :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is very heavy and a quick flick through the pages suggests it is an absolute geek-fest of information. It certainly looks and feels like a quality publication.

Will spend some time with it when I get the chance and report back.

I had an email from "Oodles of misfortune" this afternoon, arranging for a total refund, which I did not ask for, I think they are becoming confused with us all on their back.

Has anyone of the group put a broadside across them, advising that there are others of an Astronomical Soc who have been involved in this fiasco, who are bitterly disappointed in the outcome. A report will be duly sent to Amazon.

Copy of Fly Guy anyone :D

Just one question for Derek, when you come to browse the 660 page tome, are the listed NGC No`s each given a description ? rather than coded as in Dreyer`s book, this would be very helpful to me, as I keep on forgetting some of the codes from time to time, all part of old age I am afraid. Soft music and violins may now be played  :)

I'm now away from home John but will check when I get back. There are five or six different indices at the back of the book with lots of info but I didn't pay attention to what they contained.

After all this, I though "what the heck, it sounds like a solid book, i'll splash out £40 for a copy..."

Email came back to say "thanks for yoir order of microeconomics..."

How badly can Amazon get one book? I wonder what the issue is.

Haha

James

Another copy of I Spy Fly Guy arrived today. From a different seller on Amazon, but still apparently from the Paperback people in the UK, with a return slip for the USA. Very odd. I phoned Amazon as I'd sent them an email which they clearly didn't understand. A very nice lady said she'd look into it and put a stop on all sales of the book until they resolved it. I doubt it will be solved.

Bit miffed that DRT managed to get a copy for £20 and all I've got is a pile of I Spy Fly Guy hahaha :)

Sorry I haven't had much input in this thread but it seems that it is a hard copy to find, I keep looking at your guys' progress before I take the plunge, hopefully we manage to find an accurate seller.

• 2 weeks later...

I've stumbled on this book which catalogues all the Messier objects, then has 188 pages each with the info on three of the NGC objects, so about 550 NCG objects in numerical order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Catalog-Deep-sky-Objects-Astrophysical-ebook/dp/B000QED638/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445498541&sr=8-2&keywords=deep-sky+object+finlay

James

I've stumbled on this book which catalogues all the Messier objects, then has 188 pages each with the info on three of the NGC objects, so about 550 NCG objects in numerical order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Catalog-Deep-sky-Objects-Astrophysical-ebook/dp/B000QED638/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445498541&sr=8-2&keywords=deep-sky+object+finlay

James

Unfortunately the preview only shows the introduction and the index, so no idea wheat the actual entries are like!

Archived