Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Power adapter for 100D

Okay, this might be a bit vague, and in the wrong place, but here goes....

I got a cheap (I'll come back to this) power adapter that was supposed to be for my Canon 100D from an Amazon seller as the battery was not lasting more than a couple of hours and, as the nights get darker I wanna go for longer!

Anyway, clear last night, so spent some time setting up, but noticed I was getting an ERR20 when trying to use live view on APT when attached to the power cord. So I swapped out with the battery and everything was fine. I then swapped over to the power pack and did some darks and bias frames (well I think I did, what comes next suggests I didn't).

A little later I came out for the lights. Aligned with the battery in and then replaced the battery with the cable to run the imaging - I just though Live View was playing up with a modded camera (yeah, I'm simple like that).

Anyway, the shutter goes off and on as per expected with my 3 minute exposures but, on review, I was getting nothing in the image - some hot pixels maybe and a thin band of light at the top of the screen, but nothing that would suggest there were any stars in the sky.

Swapped out and put the battery back in - quick 20 sec sub and there were stars a plenty.

So, I guess the power adapter is either faulty or these cheap ones just don't have the juice to run a camera for astro?

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or whether I am doing something wrong.

I suspect I should have just realised that you get what you pay for and there is probably a reason why the official adapters are so much more expensive - i.e. they work!

Cheers

Mark

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you have all the bits why not buy a DC - DC convertor and make your own 7.* volt power supply 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM2596S-DC-to-DC-Buck-Converter-Adjustable-Power-Step-Down-Module-1-5-35V-UK-/361209263228?hash=item5419bff47c

Because I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing and would likely cut the power to the street and set fire to the grass!  :grin:

But thanks for the suggestion - something to look into.....

Hi Rich

It was this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5VMIQS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

In all honesty, mine might have been faulty, but I am not going to bother ordering another - I'll just get a replacement battery for the time being and then figure out what to do for something more permanent. I tried it again tonight, just taking a few photos in the living room.Worked fine with the battery in place, but the power adapter just wouldn't bring up a picture.Shutter opens and closes, but nothing on the preview screen or on the card when reviewing the pictures.

Fingers crossed your adapter will work!

Its working fine for me as a basic test, using live view and images are being saved, shall test in BackyardEOS next, just as a side note, the battery indicator on the camera has 2 bars when plugged in on the power adapter.

Perhaps mine was faulty then - glad yours is working - I first really used it when it was plugged into APT and wouldn't work on Live View for the Synscan Alignment.....2 bars on the battery indicator for me too.

Did get Err 20 a couple of times, so hopefully that was related to the faulty adapter rather than the camera!

Works fine in BackyardEOS too, sorry I can't be anymore help to you, but looks like your not doing anything wrong so would have to agree and suggest a fault of some kind, Cant imagine what though if the camera is receiving power then it shouldn't affect anything.

Good to know yours is okay - perhaps I was just unlucky! It was a bizarre situation though - definitely power going in - was getting the ERR20 when trying to change to LiveView in APT - which suggests it was having trouble keeping the mirror up, but no problem when using the battery. Hey ho....clear skies! :-)

Maplin do a Stable Switched Supply unit that allows selectable voltages from 5v dc, to 13.2 v dc.

I bought one for my Canon 1000D and it works fine.

The error message is probably due to low voltage. 

The outputs rise in .5 v increments, so start lower than required, and work up in half volt steps until you get a stable 

supply for your camera.

I had to buy a dummy battery to connect the supply to my camera, as there was no proper input connector.

Once you have recognised the voltage required to service your camera, tape down the selector to prevent accidental 

switching to a higher output.

Cheers Barkis - another option for consideration! I suspect you are right about the voltage, what with the battery indicator only showing half-power when plugged into the camera. And, the first time I got the error message was just after getting the camera when the battery was very low - so that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info, really helpful.

Hi Marky this one i can recommend have used this firm for all my power needs :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Power-Adapter-ACK-E5-CA-PS700-DR-E5-Battery-Coupler-Canon-450DRebel-Xsi-/371280938705?hash=item56721186d1

Hth

Regards

Mike

Eeek! Quite pricey....but I guess, you do get what you pay for - I've proven that already! :-) Thanks for the link!

Typo on the price in that eBay listing I suspect, £12.97 on Amazon

Michael

Well spotted Michael,a prize is on it`s way!!!!! :grin:  yer your right its £12.97-----no wonder Mark thought that it was expensive :eek:  

Regards

Mike

Hah! Yeah - I mean, I'm frugal.....but not THAT tight.....

:grin:

Because I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing and would likely cut the power to the street and set fire to the grass!  :grin:

But thanks for the suggestion - something to look into.....

This is the sort of power supply you need, a 12v battery, mine has a cigarette adapter , the red and black lead come with one plus a on/off switch built in, connect it to a DC-DC converter, adjust the voltage on the little blue thing by turning a screw, connect your old battery adapter to the out put connector, just make sure the + and - are the right way round.......

20150912_1720441.jpg

Personally I stuck with the Canon factory PS for piece of mind , did get a good deal when purchasing with the camera though ...  :smiley:

Were I to look to a cheaper alternative I would look no further than Andy at "Astronomiser" , maybe not the ridiculously low fleabay prices of nasty  , "not

exactly to betrusted" PRC knock-offs but a well priced , good quality product from an entirely trustworthy source ... here in the UK ...  :laugh:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/canonpowerpro.htm#ast100ddc

Personally I stuck with the Canon factory PS for piece of mind , did get a good deal when purchasing with the camera though ...  :smiley:

Were I to look to a cheaper alternative I would look no further than Andy at "Astronomiser" , maybe not the ridiculously low fleabay prices of nasty  , "not

exactly to betrusted" PRC knock-offs but a well priced , good quality product from an entirely trustworthy source ... here in the UK ...  :laugh:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/canonpowerpro.htm#ast100ddc

​Be interesting to see whats inside the box component wise .....

Archived