NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"Curiouser and curiouser "!

cotterless45

A really poor sky, like looking through diluted milk, it improved a bit later on. Dew was dripping from the scope, get a grip on dew prevention !

A night for clusters and double stars, kicking off with some from the Cr ( Collinder ) catalogue,

In Cassiopeia, NGC 225 showed fine arched chains. NGC 663 just stunning. IC 1848 showed a small open triangle with dense stars. Cr.463 showed a strung out double headed Draco chain.

In Perseus,Cr.29 aka Trumpler 2 , showed an elegant , elongate chain.

Really too bright to get much joy in the northern sky, but really pleased to get Σ162, a good triple set here. The cluster 1582 looked superb .

The double β533 just cleanly opened to showed a near even , bright 1.1" split. Really good challenge and showing how good the seeing was.

Check out NGC 752 in Andromeda, nice !

Over to Cygnus and an old favourite, NGC 6940 with signs of it's dense star fields.

Just one galaxy, NGC 7217 , bright in Pegasus.

I evicted a large hedgehog who charged into my shed and squeezed in between the half closed legs of a wooden tripod. That's another good challenge in the dark ! Looking forward to clearer skies !

Nick.

post-6974-0-34561600-1441691960_thumb.jppost-6974-0-08604800-1441691979_thumb.jp

Very nice report and illustrations Nick :smiley:

Sounds like you had very similar conditions to me last night. I put the ED120 out and stuck to doubles mainly for a couple of hours. It was the 3rd night in a row that I've been out observing though so I'm not complaining :smiley:

Fantastic report and sketches!   :smiley:

I also like NGC752, NGC6940 and NGC 663 (or C10). I don't think I have seen the other you observed though. Will have a look next time :) 

Another of my favourite clusters in Cassiopeia is NGC 457 (C13, Owl cluster).  :smiley:

Archived