SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Set-up: what am I doing wrong?

Following an operation I have been unable to set-up and use my equipment for the past 5- months, so feeling better and with a clear sky I thought tonight would be a good time to resume my astronomy and imaging – wrong.  I have been using my current equipment for just over a year and felt I had mastered the basic set-up procedure  - wrong again.

I am using and AZ-EQ6 mount and currently carry out the initial set-up and alignment using the Synscan handset before switching to EQMOD and Carte du Ciel for tracking.  The mount was pointing north to Polaris before start up, it was level and everything was tight – switch on -  location - time then on to the alignment routine.  For some, obviously basic reason, the mount/scope will not slew to the chosen alignment star each time – in fact it seems to be 90o exactly out (I think). What have I overlooked?

As a matter of interest and obviously ignoring the aforementioned Synscan set-up, I switched to EQMOD and it slewed straight to the chosen star – suggesting, I suppose, I am overlooking something in the Syscan routine?  I knew I’d be rusty after nearly 5-months away from the equipment but not this bad.  Such a same it’s a lovely night!

As above most probable cause is a date error. 06/09/2015 instead of 09/06/2015

I don't believe it - that's exactly what it is!!!!

Now working OK but on switching to EQMOD  after initially working has crashed with "Connect Error Timeout" message, any ideas please? 

I don't believe it - that's exactly what it is!!!!

Now working OK but on switching to EQMOD  after initially working has crashed with "Connect Error Timeout" message, any ideas please? 

For me this has usually been the result of a dodgy USB connection or, much more painful, windows getting the com ports all jammed up!

Archived