200p Dobsonian Size

Hi guys, 

Quick query... My step father is wanting to get a telescope as he's never had one before. (I think it might also be down to the fact of getting away for a few hours from my mother!!) 

Joking aside they do not have a large budget... They're looking at something for the £150 mark. Understandably there's not much you can get within that price range that will get tossed in the cupboard through frustration at cheap shaky mounts! I'm by no means an expert and very new to astronomy myself! But the general consensus on the forum is the dobs are the best bang for your buck. I had to steer them away from buying from Maplins!

I've said I'll put the rest towards a 200p as an early xmas present as the thought of having someone who shares my interest is quite appealing as I don't have any friends that share my passion.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this scope will fit inside an '06 Fiat Punto?

Thanks in advance, 

James 

Great! I was hoping it would fit over the back seats!

I've no idea in what he pictures a scope to look like, I'd assume a basic refractor. However they were wowwed when seeing a SCT in a camera shop recently... That's what kicked him off in wanting one. But unfortunately a smidge over budget. 

I've sent him a text telling him to look on google at to scale images of people with 200Ps to get a realistic idea of size. 

Just a thought, but there are a couple for sale on AstroBuySell, one in Wilmslow and one in Manchester. Don't know how far you'd be prepared to drive, of course, but then you would be able to see the scope and be sure that it would fit in the car.

Like I say, just a thought.

Why not have a trip out to Rother valley Optics in Rotherham or Green witch in Birstall (up by the Ikea).

I would certainly recommend the 200p and it is a classic scope for all the right reasons. Portability, of an aperture to allow you not to upgrade for many years (if ever), can be used for planetary and DSO and solar with appropriate white light filter.

It is the best bang for your buck you can get in my opinion.

The dobsonian also makes it so easy. Ok they are not suited to astropics but in reality this a black hole of cash and something which I think needs to be entered into slowly and sensibly. In essence imaging is a very expensive and time consuming hobby - you can spend hours just getting the software to work - a dob on the other hand is place it on the ground and view the heavens.

I am only 5'6" and I can lift the scope easily. As I say I only have the OTA and not the dob base.

The OTA is not heavy.

+1 more for the 8" f5 Dob. The f5,will give a short tube length.

Also nice wide field views of the sky with a low power eyepiece.

I'm sure your Dad will appreciate  the splendour of lovely star clusters.

Great lunar views too, and he can wack the magnification up on la Lune.

He won't be disappointed with that scope.

If and when he ever tires of it, he could probably sell it for the price he bought it.

Ron.

Thanks for the responses guys, really helpful. I think they'd prefer new to avoid any travelling. Plus the pre-owned price is almost the same price as new. I've seen one for £265 which seems very reasonable for the money.

Great find on the video, I have E-Mailed him with the link so he can get a better idea of size! 

Regards, 
James 

Great scope and I can fit mine in a Yaris on the back seat.  The base just fits in the boot with the parcel tray removed  I got mine on Astrobuysell 2nd hand but well looked after.

Still learning and its great fun on the Dob.

Les

Archived