Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Faint filamentary nebula around Omi02 Cyg

pietervdv

Hello everyone,

Here is a result from my latest 2 week imaging trip to Southern France beginning of August. The first week the moon

was still preventing me from doing any broadband work, so the first week was spent on this h-alpha object.

I found this object cruising around in the Digitized Sky Survey photographic plates. This object looked very faint so it seemed like an original & challenging project!

It is a filamentary patch of nebulosity around Omi02 Cyg in the constellation of Cygnus. I rotated the ccd and made this 2 panel composition

to include the brightest portion of it.

Although it is extremely faint and could use some more exposure time, I am quite satisfied with what I managed to capture.

Cygnus is filled with gems that are rarely imaged, many seem to forget there is so much more in Cygnus besides the NA and Pelican nebula... :smiley:

Technical details:

CCD: sbig st8300 using a 5nm astrodon h-alpha narrowband filter

Exposure: 22 hours in total (2 panel mosaic), 30 minute subframes

Scope: 10" f/3.8 Newtonian astrograph

Mount: Mesu200 Sitech

The processing was kept very minimal: the calibrated stacks were stretched and stitched in Photoshop, no PI tricks used.

I believe this is the first detailed amateur image of this area (could not find any at least), hope you like it!

Be sure to check out the larger versions in below links.

Omi02Cyg_nebula_thumb.jpg

Small size: http://www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/Omi02Cyg_nebula_small.jpg

Med size: http://www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/Omi02Cyg_nebula_med.jpg

And a small pic of my setup during the 2 week stay:

CIMG3468_thumb.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Regards,

Pieter

Well done, nice to see these rarely imaged DSOs. Does anyone know if it is part of a supernova remnant?

Thanks! I checked some online catalogues but could not find any evidence of it being a SN remnant. Seems it's a faint hydrogen ripple originating from the ic1318 complex.

Pieter

Thanks, the official designation of the object is LBN331 or DWB171, and there are a few images around of it already, so disregard my earlier statement it was the first detailed image of it. Thanks to Maurice Toet for the detective work and ruining my day[emoji6] !

Pieter

Archived