Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star adventurer M31

JohnPh

Recently picked up a decent tripod for my star adventurer and it's made a positive difference to stability. Tonight I went straight to two minute subs with a 200mm lens and had no problems so had a bash at M31, quite chuffed with the result as after 15 good subs the clouds rolled in :rolleyes: I'm quickly realising my eyes are not what they used to be, I really struggled to frame it!

15x2 min subs

Modded 550D

200mm @f/4 Iso800

Star adventurer

20633429122_8a410cc65c_b.jpgM31 by John Phelan, on Flickr

That is very nice indeed. Might want to try that with my 200mm F/3.5 which has been lying idle for far too long

Thanks Michael!

great image mate, lovely detail. thanks for sharing. charl.

Thanks charl :)

Great picture, I tried something similar the other night with mine but failed miserably. I did try for bodes nebula but I have no idea what i got in the end. I used the SA, 200 lens and used the sky map on my phone the plan was to put the phone flush to the back of the camera and  guide the camera with the map on the back. It didnt turn out well lol. Going to have to improve on my star locations I guess

Lovely image John. What tripod did you get?

Thanks Richard, I got a Gitzo G1348 MkII

Great picture, I tried something similar the other night with mine but failed miserably. I did try for bodes nebula but I have no idea what i got in the end. I used the SA, 200 lens and used the sky map on my phone the plan was to put the phone flush to the back of the camera and  guide the camera with the map on the back. It didnt turn out well lol. Going to have to improve on my star locations I guess

Thanks brrttpaul, I envy the guys with goto in a way, it took me a good 30 minutes to frame m31 how I liked it.  I guess it's good experience for navigating the night sky!

I was saying the other night to some friends, if you can put an app on your phone to show you the night sky , then surely you could fit something like that into the SA , dont get me wrong its a great bit of kit and I love it. I just think something like that would make it even better.

Very good image John.

I too have the same cameratracker. It really is an excellent piece of kit.

Now I have seen your image of Messier 31, taken with a 200mm lens. It shows what this little mount is capable off.

I've not had the weather yet, to really use mine. But-hopefully next month at Kelling, I can.

Archived