This is what keeps me from getting a better scope

I'm extremely OCD when it comes to dust particles on my mirrors. I always try to clean the mirrors resulting in visible scratches on the secondary mirror. I'm afraid that I will ruin my new bought expensive scope by constantly trying to clean the mirrors. I know it's very bad for the scope and I shouldn't do it, but I just can't help my self. This is the reason I don't already have a killer scope.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

..........no reason not to keep them clean, but they can hold much dust before they cause any detriment to your image!

If your OCD to dust in general for everything in life, like Dysoning 4 times a Day, then no, not much you can do, if this is your nature.

To possibly  resist the temptation,  add a warning sign to your scope, that interfering with me may harm your mirrors?

They have warnings on  cigarettes, but doesn't stop people from enjoying themselves to the detriment of non-smokers and themselves, until they wise up! and yes 31 Years is a long time since my last cigarette! but I gave up just over a simple TV sketch, about a Fireman rescuing the child, the emphasis on how dark and dirty, and the harmful toxic effects from a house fire, which is the reason we had breathing apparatus (  I was a fire fighter ) only to exit the flame,  ruin and smoke, remove the life saving breathing apparatus to have a cigarette? A  powerful lesson to me. I gave up on the spot!

If you can visualise something or add something to give you the same effect, that might help?

Cleaning a mirror is a sort of balance.

Go at it too often and you risk creating a scratch or damage, if there is a 1 in a hundred chance of a minor scratch and you clean it daily then after a year there should be a few there.

However leave it then the stuff sticks and takes more "scraping" to remove it so again a higher chance of damage at that occasion and at that time there is lumpy dust being dragged over the surface.

So everyone will have a different view or opinion.

But there are other factors like how good the protective coating actually is.

What is your actual location?

Seben Barlow appears that you managed to get the fields mixed up.

If you do it often then dampen the surface before doing anything to loosen anything that is on it. If you have scratches as you mention I suspect you are going at it too hard, they are not the same construction as a household mirror that one single aspect is the main thing to remember.

You don't have to scratch mirrors in order to clean them. All you need to do is use a low pressure lense blower to remove any loose dirt particles, then run under a luke warm tap for 20 mins and most stuff will soak and rinse off - job done. No need for any contact with the physical surface at all. Try and think of cleaning that way rather than having to wipe the actual surface - it might help. :)

Let common sense prevail here.

That coating on your precious objective is very tenuous, and despite any additional coatings to 

supposedly harden it, it will be susceptible to sleeks and minute scratches if it is cleaned in a poor way.

So, the old Adage applies, and will always apply, "A dirty mirror will perform better that a badly cleaned one".

Several guys in the thread have explained ways to clean it whenever it becomes necessary,

there is no need to touch the surface with anything other than water.

However tempted you might be to wipe it, DON'T. If it take two or three cleaning routines, then do it, but keep your hands, and anything in them, off the surface.

If any globules remain on the mirror after allowing it to drain whilst stood on its edge, then pick them off with a piece of rolled tissue, by letting it draw the water off.

It will do it..

I'm only repeating what the others may have already told you, so you are now in charge of the task when it is required.

Stay disciplined  :grin:.

Ron.

Your problem is that you're looking through the wrong end of the tube. If you do this you'll see the mirror. Mirrors are really not that interesting. If you look through the correct end you'll see the universe and that is seriously interesting. Give it a try.

Olly

Your problem is that you're looking through the wrong end of the tube. If you do this you'll see the mirror. Mirrors are really not that interesting. If you look through the correct end you'll see the universe and that is seriously interesting. Give it a try.

Olly

Now that's common sense, and  the best suggestion so far.

That's probably  the Teacher in you Olly  :grin: :grin:

Now that's common sense, and  the best suggestion so far.

That's probably  the Teacher in you Olly  :grin: :grin:

Oh hell, will I ever be free of that cursed profession??? :grin:  Teacher, preacher, is a fine line. I don't want to cross it but I passionately believe in 'working telescopes.' Get 'em out. Get looking. Think of John Dobson. Grind that mirror. Try it. We'll coat it later!  :icon_salut:

Olly

Olly, all I can say is, I absolutely loved that old Movie, Goodbye Mr Chips. 

The Robert Donat version, but the subsequent one with  Martin Clunes ran it close.

All my  teachers from distant memory,  bar one, were superb people.

Little deviation from topic, so apologies to the OP.

Ron.

I always cleaned my mirror about once a year using the following method: blow off dust, immerse mirror in warm water with a few drops of Fairy Liquid (other liquid cleaners are available!), lightly wipe mirror with cotton wool ball soaked in said warm water (single stroke using weight of wet ball, then throw away ball), repeat until whole surface covered, rinse with distilled water (to prevent water marks), stand on end until dry. Any remaining water blobs can be removed with the edge of some tissue paper.

From the discussion above maybe I should dispense with the cotton wool balls and after soaking in warm soapy water rinse under tap for a period (don't hit the tap with the mirror!) and then final rinse with distilled water.

After a few weeks some dust would return, I would try to blow most of it off with a puffer. I think dust probably has more effect than you may think, based on the improvement in vision I get when I clean my glasses, even when there is a small amount of dust on them evenly spread. If nothing else it will reduce contrast in the image by scattering.

Also this may help . I am a Chauffeur by trade and always like to keep my car clean . What i have been doing lately is on the final rinse I take rainwater from the waterbutt and rinse off the whole car .You can then let it virtually air dry without those nasty hardwater marks all over it. It may be a good idea to give the mirror a soak or final rinse in rainwater as it seems kinder to reflective surfaces and it is very cheap !!

I'm extremely OCD when it comes to dust particles on my mirrors. I always try to clean the mirrors resulting in visible scratches on the secondary mirror. I'm afraid that I will ruin my new bought expensive scope by constantly trying to clean the mirrors. I know it's very bad for the scope and I shouldn't do it, but I just can't help my self. This is the reason I don't already have a killer scope.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

So your obsession to remove specks of dust ends up damaging the object? And this obsession prevents you from buying the items that you want?

I don't want to sound overly harsh, but have you ever thought about speaking to a doctor about this? That sort of compulsive behaviour isn't really that normal.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Obsessive-compulsive-disorder/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Archived