NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using maps and charts

Hi all

(intro'd myself in the welcome area but am pressing on with questions before yet getting a reply there!)

Charts - Ok so I've been in the garden and I've been out down the coast area, where I thought it'd be a bit darker, with my binoculars with a view to seeing how I get on with finding my way round the cosmos.  So, I have a Planisphere and Norton's Star Atlas.  The atlas is much easier to see with a small torch because it is white background.  I'm sure I've seen a planisphere 'in reverse' with white background, but I can't now source one anywhere.  The atlas is easier to read but a bit unwieldy to use as a bound book.  What would be great would be a Norton's foldable chart that I could stick into a map case - maybe I could make my own.... I have seen those Philip's star charts on the rectangle projection but I way prefer the Norton's lay out.  Is there a folding chart anywhere with that projection?

Cheers

Jeff

You can get free charts to print out - I use TriAtlas, you can print the full sky and bind them or keep them as individual charts covering the areas/ constellations you wish to observe, I printed mine A3 (A4 too small for my eyes to read!!) and laminated it to prevent it going soggy when the dew hits it. 

PS...... welcome to SGL :)

AH! cheers Tinker  - I didn't even think of that! probably because everytime I switch on the phone messages start to arrive...but you've made me think maybe I should use the tablet.  I ahve a borrowed one at the moment and was thinking of getting one and downloading Red Shift for fun, as opposed to observing.

Thanks Square Slice - I'd never heard of TriAtlas, but Im going staright to google it now!  Yes, the dew thing you mention: my Norton's got a bit sticky with seawater mist (so did the bins!) just out walking near the coast. So I found a plastic folder but you have to bend the book double to keep it open on the chart page.  So I think an A3 printout would probably work well in my map case,

cheers

Jeff

I have to say I am not a big fan of Norton's. I use the sky and telescope pocket atlas. It is spiral bound and easy to use outside. Otherwise print some maps off the web. You can write your star hops on them and put them in poly pockets to keep the dew off.

Possibly of little help but when Stargazing Live first appeared they issued/gave some small very simple star charts that were laminated.

They were simple but to work out the constellations at a very basic level they were ideal.

This year nothing was available as best I can recall, 2014 it was a calendar, the small laminated charts were the previous 3 years.

If there is a big club or similar near you (university) they may have some old stock stashed away.

The 2012 and the first one from 2011 are better then the 2013.

I know this as I got myself 2 of each, the IoA had sort of boxes of them.

The OU may be able to help.

Thanks laudropb - I didn't know about that one; just downloading a pdf of it now to have a look...yes I am moving towards the idea of printng off maps rather than carrying books around, cheers for that

Hi Jeff, I see you have found your way here from the Welcome section. 

Quite a long while ago, for my binocular observing, I used PhilHarrington.net web site and in particular "TUBA" Touring The Universe Through Binoculars Atlas. which is now a free download. A4 Star maps are printable in any preference you want, black / white or in colour, to any star magnitude and any part of the sky you want to observe, stored in clear plastic sleeves, they keep out the damp and are easy to read with the compulsory Red torch, so your eyes remain dark adapted, enjoy :)

...and thanks John and Nick.  Nick, I went on that link and downloaded the whole atlas on pdf so I can print individual pages that fit the map case! cool! And John, I have a machine running XP here somewhere, the binocs maps look really good.  The Triatlas does look like an amazing project...I'm sure I'll be browsing that.  I am just amazed at how much high quality free stuff there is in the maps and charts territory. I wonder how philips etc. manage to make any money!! I suppose it's from people like me who assume everything must be on paper somewhere :)

Once you join Stargazers Lounge Jeff, it is a valuable key that will open doors to all sorts of helpful information, mostly from the wide and erudite knowledge of the many forum members, some having been involved in the subject of Astronomy for many years :)

W H Smith / Menzies do a luminous  Planisphere! 

I prefer to print my own charts using Stellarium. I can zoom/create and display only what i want by tweaking the settings!

There are many solutions, just finding  the right one, thats the issue.

Archived