NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which focuser mod?

Hi all, I'm contemplating a small upgrade/mod to my 2" Crayford on my 150P. In terms of just visual work, would I be better served with the Lacerta Dual Speed 1:10 upgrade as per:

http://www.365astronomy.com/Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html

or the Skywatcher Dual Speed Auto-Focuser as per:

http://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-Electric-Dual-Speed-Auto-Focuser.html

- or as I have read somewhere, save my money, buy a big peg, attach it to the focus knob and fine focus using the length of the peg! I obviously haven't tried that yet. Perhaps I should.

Comments appreciated as always.

I've got the lacerta focuser upgrade on the 200p, have look first hand next weekend at ingletion before you buy if you like.. Never used the motorised one so can't comment.. Probably best option to reduce vibration..

Ta

Fozzie

Things to look for in a focus motor system:

12v vs 9v motor

stepper motor rather than simple dc motor

stepper with absolute as opposed to incremental encoders.

ASCOM compatibility for auto focus

Ability to control with up to 30+ meter extension cable

Thanks all for the help, a few more possibilities than I had thought. Likelihood is that I'll keep it simple, (not the peg, although I'll probably try it out of curiosity) and I'll have a look at Fozzie's Lacerta (thanks Fozzie) and go from there.

Archived