NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HaRGB Processing Help Please!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Phil.

Sorry Sara, I thought you would be OK with the processed Ha. I'll give you a link to the unprocessed one when I get home. The separate R, G and B images have only been increased in size because of the binning. I haven't done anything else to them that I know of! The only other alternative is giving you links to all the subs and that would be a bind for you!

I thought the rgb definitely looked processed. Do you stack in DSS? If so there's an embed settings or something in there that will do something akin to a process isn't there?

Not sure as I've not used DSS for years, but seem to remember something.

I thought the rgb definitely looked processed. Do you stack in DSS? If so there's an embed settings or something in there that will do something akin to a process isn't there?

Not sure as I've not used DSS for years, but seem to remember something.

Here are the save options. I use the 'embed' one:

post-1704-0-09051400-1440184844.jpg

The Ha in the first post in this thread is definitely different to the links on page 3.

This is a 5 min rough and ready stretch and twiddle in PS with the data from the very first post. 

attachicon.gifhargbstacked.jpg

Oh dear, I really don't know what to do about that matching up. I just doubled the R, G and B images to 200% in PS. I did wonder if there might be a more accurate way.

Thanks for the processing. I can see more detail there!

I've got myself a bit lost now! Here are the unprocessed, unadulterated stacked images: Ha, R, G and B. I've not enlarged the colour ones. I did use the 'embed' option when saving as that's what I've heard over and over again that you should use. Have fun! If you're not fed up yet!

Ha:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40828105/Wizard%20Ha%20Stacked%202.TIF

Red:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40828105/Wizard%20Red%202.TIF

Green:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40828105/Wizard%20Green%202.TIF

Blue:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40828105/Wizard%20Blue%202.TIF

Hi Alexx,

I just had a quick play with these in PI out of curiousity but it won't let me merge them due to dimension differences. Did you bin any of the colour channels 2x2? Did you align them all together?

Phil

But PI is super easy?

No, 'PI is super easy' is what it says on the tin. What does it say in the manual?

Ah, no manual. Damn.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Here is  a quick processing in PI, 3 of the channels were Binned 2x2 and one was 1 pixel smaller than the other 3.  Used the resample function to make them all the same size.  Each channel was treated with dynamic background subtraction, then processed with Histogram transformation, curve transformation.  RGB were combined, background neutralization, and color calibration.  The RGB final was adjusted with Histogram transformation, curve transformation. Then the RGB and HA were combined with multichannel synthesis

post-39396-0-81630800-1440957823_thumb.p

Here is  a quick processing in PI, 3 of the channels were Binned 2x2 and one was 1 pixel smaller than the other 3.  Used the resample function to make them all the same size.  Each channel was treated with dynamic background subtraction, then processed with Histogram transformation, curve transformation.  RGB were combined, background neutralization, and color calibration.  The RGB final was adjusted with Histogram transformation, curve transformation. Then the RGB and HA were combined with multichannel synthesis

With respect, this seems to me to have the shortcomings of those early attempts (maybe eight years ago or so) to combine Ha with RGB as a luminance layer in Photoshop. That is to say, a pinkish nebula and blue star haloes. (Only one blue star halo this time.) I don't know what PI does with the Ha layer, which is one reason why I combine it in Ps where I do know what's going on.

Olly

Edit: By the way, I would generally advise against binning colour when aiming to add Ha or other narrowband. The difference in star size between NB and broadband is hard enough to cope with without further increasing RGB star size by binning.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks nucdoc and Olly. I'm sorry I missed this! I'd effectively given up. It's a shame as you've all put so much effort into helping me.

One thing I do want to ask is, why did one of my colour images end up being 1px too small? I increased the images' sizes by 200% in PS, as I'd 2x2 binned them. Should I do something else??

So Olly, when I do Ha, I shouldn't be binning the R, G and B when I capture them??

If you binned Ha or L it would make the picture pixelated and blurry. Ha and L are where the detail is. Colour doesn't need to have fine detail, but I'm gong to try again without binning at all, to see the difference.

It depends on the imaging resolution of your set up, I'd either bin it all or none of it.

Dave

Archived