Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

solarmax 2 60mm

MBJ

After having owned this scope for 2 weeks and not having chance to look through it.....today was the day!!

Set up on my eq5 goto mount i inserted a 15mm plossl into the diagonal...focused in...moved the etalon tuning lever.....

.....all i can say is wow!!!

Amazed doesnt even come close....sunspots....flares....prominences...surface detail....i had to draw what i saw.

This has blown me away completely.....the best £1500 i have spent on astro gear.....it surpasses all my expectations.

Thanks for posting the drawing, great to see a nice sketch for a change rather than an image.  Solar observing can easily become very absorbing.  I'm now far more disappointed if it's cloudy during the day time than I am if it's cloudy at night time!   :grin:  You have a nice scope and I'm sure it will bring you many more fine solar vistas in the future.

Solar certainly does add, quite dramatically, to the whole astro experience :smiley: The views seem to vary between mesmerising  & brilliant :laugh: and you can end up with quite a nice tan in the process :grin:

Nice sketch. It's funny how some folks don't like solar much - each to their own of course, would be boring if we were all the same. For me it's the best thing, all those stars out there, this is the only one was can see up close. When I got my first scope, after taking in the moon and a galaxy, I wondered what a star would look like closer up. It was still a dot. I am not sure what I was expecting to see, but solar h-alpha is much more than whatever I was expecting. :laugh:

Nice sketch. It's funny how some folks don't like solar much - each to their own of course, would be boring if we were all the same. For me it's the best thing, all those stars out there, this is the only one was can see up close. When I got my first scope, after taking in the moon and a galaxy, I wondered what a star would look like closer up. It was still a dot. I am not sure what I was expecting to see, but solar h-alpha is much more than whatever I was expecting. :laugh:

I completely agree Luke, to be able to see a star much closer is fantastic.

Just imagine what seeing a red giant or a blue star such as Rigel would be like viewed from a similar safe distance to our own sun :grin:

Archived