Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new SX Ultrastar camera

nytecam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been fascinating to watch this story unfold to its current brilliant conclusion. The sky's the limit now that Paul's superb s/w has SX's backing. Exciting times for everyone. The competition between Atik and SX in this area can only yield even better things.

Its interesting to see how SX successfully avoid the use of the terms video, EAA and the like in their literature.

I wonder what the pricing will be - presumably somewhere between the £450 of the lodestar X2 and the £1300 of the equivalent Trius? Probably an additional premium for the s/w. I am trying to work out what i think I would pay?

Rob

Its been fascinating to watch this story unfold to its current brilliant conclusion. The sky's the limit now that Paul's superb s/w has SX's backing. Exciting times for everyone. The competition between Atik and SX in this area can only yield even better things.

Its interesting to see how SX successfully avoid the use of the terms video, EAA and the like in their literature.

I wonder what the pricing will be - presumably somewhere between the £450 of the lodestar X2 and the £1300 of the equivalent Trius? Probably an additional premium for the s/w. I am trying to work out what i think I would pay?

Rob

Looks like it's going to be right around $1000 US. So ~650 English pounds. BTW, if you all ever go fully metric, will you have to start calling your money "kilos"?

Hi, I've got the e-mail from Terry Platt:

"The Ultrastar will probably be in the region of 750 UK pounds, as the CCD is quite expensive when compared with the Lodestar chip. We will keep it as low as we can."

To be competitive, the Ultrastar should be priced below $1000.

SX may have to cut their margin initially and then recover as prices of the ICX825 are expected to drop soon. Also, if the Ultrastar will be a success, they can order larger quantities of the sensor and should qualify for better volume pricing.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

Hi All,

Sorry I've been somewhat absent from the forum the last couple of weeks, but was out of town and didn't have good access to the net or time to keep up on things. It appears that a lot has happened with the new cams coming out and it's really exciting to see Paul's LL being used for the Ultrastar. Great work by Nytecam to give us a taste of what to expect. I see the Ultrastar is available in the US through High Point Scientific at a price of $1029 US. I assume that the Mac version of the s/w will be available, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere, but may have missed it. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Congrats to Paul for the SX selection of software for the new cam. Really well deserved.

Don

To be competitive, the Ultrastar should be priced below $1000.

SX may have to cut their margin initially and then recover as prices of the ICX825 are expected to drop soon. Also, if the Ultrastar will be a success, they can order larger quantities of the sensor and should qualify for better volume pricing.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

Ultrastar listed for $995 http://www.highpointscientific.com/starlight-xpress-ultrastar-monochrome-imager-guider-ccd-camera.

--Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived