Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Set completion question

MattJenko

I have taken my time with this (and also have been concentrating more on imaging) and have done a lot of research, and am excited to complete a decent set of mid price/high quality EPs, which should get me the best views I can afford. I just want to get some feedback on what else I may be missing or what might be possible upgrades to look out for as nothing is ever final!

I do my viewing with a Skyliner 250px. I currently have:

MaxVision 28mm, TV Radian 10mm, Vixen SLV 6mm.

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an ES 14mm 82 so that I have a range of powers and FOV : x43, x86, x120, x200.

I wear glasses and am not that bothered (yet :) ) about 100 degree EPs, so these represent my best efforts.

As mentioned by your gents, a 14-16mm eyepiece seems to fills in gap for around 3mm exit pupil magnification.

ES 14mm 82deg might not be very suitable for spec-wearer, the 15.6mm ER stated by ES seems to be very optimistic from the reviews I've able to come across.

Maxvison 16mm is a very nice eyepiece, but absolutely not suitable for spec-wearers, the recessed eyelens makes the stated 12mm ER much shorter, to a level comparable to 10mm BCO's 8mm ER, IMHO.

As you like 10mm Radian, I'd think a used 14mm Radian should be a good choice, or a used 14mm Delos should be a very good one if you feel to spend more.

If you fancy to try 82 deg eyepieces, a Celestron Luminos 15mm might be a choice with stated 17mm ER.

For your 10" dob another 10mm might give some upgraded galaxy views- the 10mm focal length is very good in your scope for this A 10mm XW could just be the best going. I mention this because you might find the 14mm in your scope "in between" optimum for some things. ES has some tight feeling eyerelief too as rightly pointed out by YKSE. They are very good eyepieces though.

A Baader VIP barlow would be very useful with your existing set up - this even turns my 18mm ES 82 into a planetary eyepiece that performs surprisingly well in this role... sorry if I'm off topic here. :smiley:

I'd say get an ES 14mm 100°. I know you say your not bothered for 100° FOV but it will fill a rather large gap between the 10 and 28mm. You shouldn't think of it as a 100° eyepiece anyway, you should thing of it as 1 eyepiece doing the job of 2 ;)

Thanks for the info, I thought the ES 82 would be good enough from what I have read in terms of ER, but if there are concerns then I need a bit of a little rethink and might try and find one to look through first. I have contemplated a used Delos 17.5, which sounds like a winner for a bit more and I have read some unpleasant things about the Luminos. There is also a Nagler 17 on ABS at the moment... Back to the investigations for a bit more thinking.

Silly idea... but.... if you're happy with the maxvision 28mm... why not just get a 2x focal extender?

That'd give you 14mm with exactly the same eye relief as the original eyepiece.... and (in the US anyway) the ES 2x FE is only a few bucks more than the 14mm ES82 is

That'd also let you use the radian at 5mm for a higher mag option with wider FOV compared to your Vixen.... and even give you a 3mm option if you ever have a night of perfect seeing :)

Hi Matt, although the specs for the ES82's sounds like it might suit you, I am a bit dubious, as with the ES82's you have to get the eye close to see the whole view.  What the Delos 14mm is like I don't know, but I have a feeling it will be less riskier than the ES82.  Only trouble is it's expensive.

I am going to hold fire and try out the barlow approach, as I actually have the Baader x2.25 barlow to pair with the Hyperion Zoom and simply hadn't thought of using it with any of the other EPs! I will also try and see if I can get access to an ES 82 EP and have a look through it first. If it doesn't work out, then I'll save up and treat myself to a Nagler or a Delos.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived