SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First ever attempt at DSOs - M27

This is my first ever go at DSOs. Taken last night. I only did 15 subs at 1min 30s each followed by the same amount of darks and then 20 flats. I used Deepsky stacker to process them, don't really understand it,  but I am fairly pleased with it for a first attempt. I haven't got proper photo editing software so had to stop at that stage. I've been reading Making Every Photon Count as well. All and every comments appreciated so i know where to go to next.

Steve

post-44244-0-17283300-1437326097_thumb.j

That is a fantastic image for a first DSO... My first DSO was not even close to your one... Well done.

Software I use to process my images is Nebulosity from Stark Labs to stack and align subs and Photoshop to process the stacked channels. Nothing else is needed since good data acquisition is the most important step in Astro imaging.

A lot of people also use Deep Sky Stacker so you can use that instead of Nebulosity.

Mariusz

To achieve such good focus on a first attempt is admirable, well done. You've just got a smidge of tracking error to sort out (are you guiding?) and then your efforts should be epic.

What an image for your first one!

For further processing, you could try using GIMP. its a free programme that does most of what photoshop does. Its a steep learning curve but there quite a few tutorials etc on the web and You Tube. Curves and Levels are the two most important tools for adding the finishing touches and bringing out any colur that is embedded.

Welcome to the fascinating world of astrophotography! Its frustrating, onerous and expensive but also intensely rewarding. So much to learn...in fact I will always be a learner!

Tim. 

Archived