NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bright Filamprom may become detached - NOW on sun **

paulastro

10.10am, now just two wispy remnants left as the Sun disappeared into thick cloud.  Rapid development from 9.15 when I first saw it.  When I first observed it, it was very bright and striking, one of the best filaproms I have seen with the base connected to the corner of a triangular filament.   It changed shape very rapidly before becoming detached at the base at 9.45am.  The detached prom then split into two components which changed very quickly themselves, the top portion brightened rapidly at one stage when it appeared it was going to dissipate completely. The bottom one at one time was like a small spherical ball.  My last view was as described at 10.10am.

Very lucky to see this as the weather forecast for up here is continuous rain this morning.  In fact I was about to go out at 9.30 - but didn't because of the Solar action and missed my appointment -with God!

10.30, another large clear patch, only a very small and faint spherical single remnant remaining.

I took some snaps with my compact camera, if I can get anything worthwhile from them I'll post a couple later.

Well, the pics aren't up to much, but they will give some idea of the changes.  All taken digiscope fashion, and alas I have no control over the exposure of the focus as you can see!  Pics taken at 9.37am, 9.50am and 10.01am.  Also the filament element of the filaprom doesn't show up in the images.

post-3007-0-46008600-1437302214_thumb.jp

post-3007-0-15957300-1437302330_thumb.jp

post-3007-0-85908600-1437302422_thumb.jp

Nice description, Paul, and the pics do give an idea of what was going on.

Sorry I missed that - but solar viewing needs a lot of things to come together; the action/features, the seeing, being around at the time, etc. However, old Sol ain't going away soon and there will be more action at some point ...

Thank you David and Gordon.  I'm afraid though that my snaps hardly do it justice, it was really intricate and impressive, far more than my pictures show.  It was nice to see some action as it's been a bit on the quiet side in the last few days. 

I have just set my kit up after returning from a lovely steaming at the local sauna :smiley:

There are a couple of twisted proms ... very wispy like in the 4 O'clock position ............and I can see a wedge shape that looks like a  remnant of the prom mentioned and shown in the posts above..... there is also a hedgerow developing in the 2 O'clock position   :grin:

The surface detail is fantastic also, especially so in the centre where something major is happening, the colours are outstanding.

Archived