Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Hot Tub Astronomy Session

During the summer months when little astrophotography is possible, one of my few vices is to sit in the garden hot tub and do some casual sky gazing.

Last night turned into a real treat- nice clear skies, no moon and a horrendous thunder storm visible for some 3 hours on my eastern horizon!

So not only did I see the usual stars, planes, satelites, meteors and Iridium flares but I also got treated to the amazing lightning show at the same time.

The flashes were very frequent roughly ever three/four seconds so it must have spectacular up-close. Eerily, due to the distance of the storm line, I heard no thunder so watched the show in complete silence.

Some research this morning showed the storm was 100 miles East of me (Warwickshire) over East Anglia, hence the silence.

_84328778_weatherquest.jpg

Anyone see the storm?

Sounds like an excellent hot tub session! Not far from where I live though I'm in Turkey at the moment wishing I'd managed to at least sneak my binoculars along with me. Different stars and I'm sure Mars and Mercury are visible.... If I had my scope!

Ah, don't kick me when I'm already down!! I know - we were over the limit on luggage already and and and... Aargh! I wish I'd just carried them round my neck.

Ah well I won't make the mistake again!

Too beautiful here though to regret a small opportunity missed.

I've just ordered an inflatable garden hot tub, funnily enough, but we want it as a cold tub since it's in the upper thirties at it's maddest this year. I hadn't really thought of it for star gazing but you've set me thinking!

We do get mighty thunderstorms here on occasion in high summer. I think I can imagine safer places than a hot tub from which to observe them, though...  :eek:

Olly

I have stayed at log cabins with hot tubs Olly and there is nothing better than eyes only stargazing at a dark site from one. In winter though it is a mad dash from the tub to the shower before bits drop off with the cold :eek:

That sounds idyllic.  The storm here in Cambridgeshire was fierce!  Similar to one we had a couple of weeks ago.  Lightning that was so frequent that if you saw it in a film you'd think "real lightning isn't like that"!!  Not surprised you could see it from over the border.

Paul

I've just ordered an inflatable garden hot tub, funnily enough, but we want it as a cold tub since it's in the upper thirties at it's maddest this year. I hadn't really thought of it for star gazing but you've set me thinking!

We do get mighty thunderstorms here on occasion in high summer. I think I can imagine safer places than a hot tub from which to observe them, though...  :eek:

Olly

Hot tubs are great for a bit of casual observing, not sure I'd take expensive bins in there though. Bound to fall in at some point!

You can adjust the temperature of the water quite easily on the inflatable ones- for the UK, at night, I'd recommend at least 37 deg C.

If the thunderstorm is a fair distance away then you should be safe.

Nice write up. Caution, there have been a number of deaths with people sitting outside in hot tubs with the pumps going hit by lightning .... Take care ...

Thats why we put our one in a log cabin :grin: ..Have threatened to turn into obsy but there would be divorce.

Nice write up. Caution, there have been a number of deaths with people sitting outside in hot tubs with the pumps going hit by lightning .... Take care ...

Good advice- think I was safe enough, the storm was in East Anglia and I was sitting in Warwickshire.

As Russ said right under it. Lightening was sort of constant with flashes every couple of seconds, and yes there was thunder, it certainly was not quiet.

Hit in 2 spells about 30 minutes apart.

Ceased about 2:30 or 3:00, then the sky was clear.

Owing to no street lights (at least near by) M31 was just visible.

I was in the middle of the storm. (Cambridge). The amount of lightning was incredible. Continuous for over an hour. I did try and get some photos but only managed to get 2 very poor quality images because I was creeping round the house in the dark trying not to wake anyone up, and couldn't find a tripod. Cardboard boxes just don't have the required stability :)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Archived