SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi. Brand new to astronomy.

Tony H

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for the nice welcome. 

I have Stellarium and the Meade Autostar suite already.  I found the online Star Cafe a bit too basic to try to work out what we are looking at in the sky so opted for these 2 and although I played with Cartes du Ciel, I found I couldn't get it to talk to my scope so uninstalled it.

From our location, we can't see polaris.  Someone built a house right where it should be.  (Inconsiderate of them). For alignment I use a good old fashioned compass, then the goto scope mount has a two star alignment.  Using this and our planosphere it has proved to be challenging to pick 2 bright stars that are not below the horizon sometimes.  We have managed a few times to get alignment correct.  I guess it will get easier as we learn more about what we are looking at.

For a relatively small scope we have been very impressed by what we can see so far.

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. The wine on the forum is free so welcome aboard and feel free to share with us as and when the need arises.

Clear skies and hope that you and your wife enjoy your stay here.

Archived