Price hike on Delos or exchange rates?

I noticed as I was mulling over the idea of off-loading my Delos collection a fairly large price increase at Telly House, new Delos's's's's 310pounds, well two of them are, even the others seem to have gone up about 20 quid apart from the 12mm. This is a business I have always found to be fair when it came to putting prices up, always seeming to sell old stock at the old prices, this can not be said for all I am sure.

So what do we think, price increase by TV or just echange rates playing their part in emptying pockets?

Alan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Delos are still showing at £256 apiece at The Widescreen Centre. SCS Astro just lists the 10mm Delos at £297. We will have to see if Widescreen prices shift over the coming days. Pentax XW's are £279 at FLO or £254 at RVO.

The Ethos eyepieces at TH seem to have stayed the same so if there is an increase it's range specific perhaps ?

I was in at the front of the Delos launch when ever that was but I think they were about 270 euros back then, since though the rates have sort of messed up the cost in my favour as they are now 379E, some I bought new, 6mm, 10mm 3.5 and 4.5 and, the first two I have bought smashed and sold and re-bought the others i have picked up secondhand though i do tend to pay a little more out here because of extra postal cost, which is fair.

I found that Delos was pushing 80% of new cost, I believe all of mine I have paid 190-200 for, I may have got one at 185 some time back.

I am in a fix at the moment as to whether to sell a good deal of eyepieces, I am just not using my Ethos, why I have no idea, stupidity probably. I have almost a full range of them too and even when I looked and I did look hard, i didn't see any differences between the two ranges many of which have exactly the same focal lengths.

I think the problem with me is it is not the same here transfering money as it is opening the wallet and counting it out, but I guess I am not on my own in that one.

I was in at the front of the Delos launch when ever that was but I think they were about 270 euros back then, since though the rates have sort of messed up the cost in my favour as they are now 379E, some I bought new, 6mm, 10mm 3.5 and 4.5 and, the first two I have bought smashed and sold and re-bought the others i have picked up secondhand though i do tend to pay a little more out here because of extra postal cost, which is fair.

I found that Delos was pushing 80% of new cost, I believe all of mine I have paid 190-200 for, I may have got one at 185 some time back.

I am in a fix at the moment as to whether to sell a good deal of eyepieces, I am just not using my Ethos, why I have no idea, stupidity probably. I have almost a full range of them too and even when I looked and I did look hard, i didn't see any differences between the two ranges many of which have exactly the same focal lengths.

I think the problem with me is it is not the same here transfering money as it is opening the wallet and counting it out, but I guess I am not on my own in that one.

I would hang on to those Ethos Alan, you may discover that there are differences in the 2 lines in your big dob, and for sure the extra FOV is nice. Maybe try the comparison on some nebulae ( if you havn't already), some EP's show startling differences on them.

I too could sell my Ethos for a nice profit, but I can't do it and this is based on the views given (and not wishful thinking lol!). 

The Delos are still showing at £256 apiece at The Widescreen Centre. SCS Astro just lists the 10mm Delos at £297. We will have to see if Widescreen prices shift over the coming days. Pentax XW's are £279 at FLO or £254 at RVO.

The Ethos eyepieces at TH seem to have stayed the same so if there is an increase it's range specific perhaps ?

thats a great price john at rvo. was thinking a 3.5 xw or pm

Gerry,

I did a fairly detailed job on both 8mm's and the 12mm &14mm D and 13mm E, I really used almost all scopes including the Dob and I could find enough to write to make a review interesting, just keep saying, it's the same, there was no difference etc. The only real difference was of course the FOV and a little more edge distortion from the Ethos but how they keep it looking as good as they do I will never know, better than Panoptics by some way.

Alan

Mike,

I thought you bought my Powermate or am I drinking too much.

i wish alan, missed one the other day of astro buy and sell, gutted. hows your lovely big dob, have you stretched its legs yet ?

let me know what ethoes your selling before you tell the world. your right about the ethoes best off loading them :grin:

Mike,

No Ethos going, only Delos and maybe a Panoptic and I am not sure what yet. I was sure you had my Powermate he says with a large whisky in the hand. The seeing is very poor with some very hot temperatures the last 2 days, up to 39 tomorrow, before that it has been terrible weather so the last time I had the Dob out was three weeks back at first quarter, the Moon looks unreal through it.

Alan.

I wouldn't hold your breath at RVO, nearly a 4 week wait  for me thus far !!!!! I am thinking of cancelling and going to FLO

I wouldn't hold your breath at RVO, nearly a 4 week wait  for me thus far !!!!! I am thinking of cancelling and going to FLO

They could be playing that old retail trick of being out of stock so showing a low price to scupper the competition :rolleyes2:

There are too many that play this game I once ordered something from a very large outlet that claimed it was on stock and it showed up 6 months later.

I think Mike you may well be better off ordering direct from the States though it is not something I personally like but many do it.

As I see it there is no dealer that seems to hold Lumicon stock in the UK, Telly house did once but that seems to have stopped now, even Astronomik's seem hard to come by.

Alan

This makes some sence. The Delites are marketed as "Smaller, Lighter & LESS COSTLY version of the ... Delos".

I guess that this is one way of making that happen!

Could also explain the spate of "Wanted Delos a Eyepieces" adds over the last week or two.

Paul

Presumably the Delos price hike is to make some room in the market for the new Delites - otherwise there is nowhere for them to go. Was at the Widescreen Centre this evening - should have asked them if their Delos prices are going to go up soon.

I see it that most of, if all seem to think it is a price increase so nothing to do with the exchange rates. I have noticed large differences between Euro and Pound but not looked at the Dollar, maybe that is strong as well so should not affect things much. T Services seem to have increased their prices on TV eyepieces and other things out of China, interestingly overnight, China of course a different currency as well.

I like the De-lite quotes being cheaper than Delos so up the price of the latter. Personally I can't see De-lite taking off unless the price is towards the thin end of 200.

Alan

That was an impulse purchase, 10mm Delos now arrived from Widescreen.

Think I have enough black and green now, just need a dark clear sky........................

Archived