Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spot the Pluto

Martin Meredith

I couldn't resist a look at Pluto earlier this morning on this historic day. I was fortunate that Pluto was just above a neighbour's roof at around 25 degrees. 

After a fair amount of hunting in the image I've managed to convince myself that I've found the blighter, but I could be wrong! This is a 1s exposure with the Lodestar X2 mono on a newly-flocked Quattro 8":

post-11492-0-47500700-1436856393.png

Since the star fields of Sagittarius are so dense, I didn't find maps or SkySafari useful in this instance so instead compared the field to the SDSS image from ALADIN. I've also included a 30s shot to bring out more stars to make the comparison more robust. You have to mentally rotate the SDSS a little clockwise.

post-11492-0-65252700-1436856307_thumb.p

Will take another shot tonight if clear. Meanwhile fingers crossed for New Horizons...

cheers

Martin

Great shots, Martin! All hail New Horizons! These are exciting times. The limiting magnitude of my biggest scope is about 14th magnitude, so I have a shot at scoping the minor planet. I'm willing clear skies this weekend so I can hunt for it. 

Thanks for sharing  :laugh:

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. After taking this I had a look through the eyepiece (for a change) and although I spotted the two asterisms (the small sharp right-pointing arrow and the larger semicircle of stars) there was no way to see Pluto. Of course, staring at a laptop screen some moments before didn't help… anyway, good luck in your search. 

Cheers Jules. I was pretty amazed too but the Lodestar is very sensitive so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm afraid I can't help on your question as I don't know what craterlet is but someone here should know. Worth giving it a shot. The hardest thing is ensuring you're in the right region...

Martin

Thanks Reggie. After taking this I had a look through the eyepiece (for a change) and although I spotted the two asterisms (the small sharp right-pointing arrow and the larger semicircle of stars) there was no way to see Pluto. Of course, staring at a laptop screen some moments before didn't help… anyway, good luck in your search. 

Cheers Jules. I was pretty amazed too but the Lodestar is very sensitive so it shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm afraid I can't help on your question as I don't know what craterlet is but someone here should know. Worth giving it a shot. The hardest thing is ensuring you're in the right region...

Martin

Thanks for the quick reply, how do you go about making the capture

Archived