NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Geoptik Nadirus or Sumerian Canopus?

Ive been wanting to upgrade my 16in flextube, for better portability and smoother movements. Thanks to another SGL member advised that it may be better to swap out my mirrors into another housing.

Ive found two options... Geoptik Nadirus or Sumerian Canopus. Has anyone had experince with these?

Which one would be better?  :Envy:

I don't think the Sumerian is going to be of much use to you if you're a binoviewer fan these scopes are for portability and use with lighter ep's loading the UTA up is going to be a collimating nightmare....another member who used to be on here had major issues with his but it was resolved. As for the other I haven't any experience with this. Portability isn't always about having the lightest scope possible...some parts just have to be as ridged as possible,making them heavy.

I can use OCA to achieve focus and also ill ask them to make myself an extra set of shortened truss.

But you advise the main problem is stiffness. Generally the flextube holds colonisation ok so thought as long as these scopes are similar in stiffness i would not have any issue?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

The Geoptik looks very well built and stiff. I wonder if that would be suitble for bino use?

Also do i simply take the mirror from its flextube housing and plonk it unsupported into the Geoptik? I find it "odd" that these Dobs just have a wood surface for the mirror to sit on, im so used to seeing a metal mirror cell?

Thanks Singlin,

UPDATE* Looks like the phenix is no longer in production. A real shame as it looks really good!

I see from the photos the focuser appears to slide up and down to allow for focusing with binoviewer? That looks like a collimation nightmare? I wonder if its really accurately designed and strong enough to handle the weight of a bino? But the design does look interesting. Its also unbelievably cheap as it includes mirrors for that price!

The video concerns me a little as he moves it with such timid care... leading me to think it may not strong? It should be as its all aluminium?

Love to hear your opinion on this new pheonix design. Have not found any reviews so far.

I received an e-mail from Giuliano from Tecnosky and he stated that the Phoenix is still in production with some updates.

He just does not have one in stock at the moment but sells them.

He said that you can collimate the scope, primary mirror included all from the eye piece end of the scope .

I hope that this helps.

You can send him an e-mail in English if you want.

Just click on the "Contact" button on the Tecnosky.it web site.

I hope that this might be of some help.

Rgds,

Simon

Ill writterned to to them i cant wait for a reply. The scope looks a but funky with the silver rectangular base.

And im a bit worried the wheels as bearing may be too smooth? As in if the scope gets hit by wind it will up want to freely fly straight up or straight down! Whay do you think Singlin? Ive never seen wheels used as bearings before and surely there must be a reason why.

Buy i have to admit i really like the design. Interesting the way the whole viens and secondry can be moved up and down like that!

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Yesterday a very kind member of this forum let me come and see his 16in Nadirus. I did not know what to expect as ive never seen a compact before.

Immediately i was struck by how light and small it looks. Its 16in... yet at zenith is only about 5cm taller than my 12in flextube! It just looks so dinky!

Without counterweights it easily took my mrk5 binoviewer with 24mm panoptics. And it was stable from just about any angle with no need for any counterweights at all. Very impressive!

And to think this scope delivered to the UK without mirrors its just over 1k.

Immediately i was excited because i can have a 16in scope for use at home, yet its only a few cm wider and taller than my 12in flextube! Amazing.

My first concern was as the scope was moved i could see the laser collimation move from the center of the mirror spot to just outside the edge of the spot at extremes. I dont know how much that would effect a view but i do remembering my 16in flextube having a very similar problem yet most of the time at the eyepiece i did not notice.

My second concern is... its upper cage is so amazingly light... how will i attach my 80mm apo to it? I know im a very greedy astronomer!

Decisions, decisions!

A massive thank you to the mystery member for their kindness and coffee.

Hmm that Geoltik looks the business. Well, the bottom half anyway. I would be worried about the very very lightweight stop cage with heavy eyepiece/Pracorr. Certainly goes together easily enough.

Paul

Archived