Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora alert

spaceboy

The all-night twilight of midsummer will make it impossible to see any aurorae from the northern part of Britain, and only an exceptionally strong aurora would ever be visible from more southerly parts of UK, so anyone wanting to make the most of current activity should head to the southern hemisphere and look out for aurorae australis in the winter skies there. (Aurorae always occur symmetrically, with simultaneous activity around Earth's northern and southern polar regions).

It was photographed from Blandford Forum in Dorset on Monday night, only 10 miles north of where I live.

I was out and about, and looking north but sadly didn't see anything from my place in Poole :sad:

Very nice - has it been visible to the naked eye or only imaged? The lovely pic from Oxfordshire obviously shows stars much fainter than the eye would see, and perhaps the same is true of the auroral streaks. I suspect that the twilight would render them invisible to the eye, but would be interested to know if anyone has managed to see something.

Archived