Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heq5 pro or Neq6

Hi all

Newbie here, i have made my mind up and getting a SW ED80 but I can't decide on the mount it's between a Heq5 pro or a Neq6, I can get the ED80 and a Heq5 pro for £1100 or I can pay a extra £300 to get a NEQ6.

Would the heq5 pro be able to to take the weight of a SW ED80 with a ST80 as a guide scope a ZWOASI120MC and a Canon 7D camera? I would also like to try my 6SE OTA on the mount as well.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

HEQ5 will carry those with ease , probably all together ...  :p

If you have a permanent observatory set-up then consider the NEQ6 , but if you'll be lugging the mount in and out of the house every time then I'd go with th HEQ5.

There's a significant weight and ease of handling difference between them , I would recommend getting to a retailer that has the mounts on show to gauge it better.

Performance-wise the HEQ5 is every bit as accurate as the 6 but will carry heavier loads , I've been more than happy with my 5 and have no intention of upping to a 6 , it handles everything I plonk on it with ease , from a Tal 100RS up to the 200PDS or Mak180Pro , and with the ED80 / 1000D I get up to 4 minute un-guided subs after a good drift-align.

If you can afford it then I would say go for the NEQ6. the HEQ5 probably will do for now, but the NEQ6 will have you prepared for any new (bigger) scopes you might get in the future or a duo setup for instance. Also this makes life a bit easier with guiding, especially when you have some strong winds. 

Although the HEQ5 will be significantly lighter, I have no troubles carrying my NEQ6 up and down the stairs every time I go out ;) 

I agree with the future proof philosophy having fallen foul of it myself. The HEQ5 is a great mount for imaging, but if you can afford bigger then get it ......... you never know when you may want a bigger scope!

I think if I upgrade in the future it would only be to a ED80 Esprit or something like a 130pds once I get use to AP

I remember saying to the wife we only need a small'ish scope......lok at it now....

DSC_0842.jpg

I think if I upgrade in the future it would only be to a ED80 Esprit or something like a 130pds once I get use to AP

Well I guess I (can I say 'we' ?;) ) have heard this before and I've seen people growing different needs/desires for upgrades as they go along in this hobby. I know just to many people who are looking to upgrade their heq5 for various reasons... 

I have to set up and break down every time I image and I too considered whether I should get a HEQ5 or go for the 6.

I am 57 but fairly fit and strong but by the time I have carried out the tripod, the head, the scopes, the counterweights, the table, the laptop, the 110 aH leisure battery, the box of 'stuff, the chair etc I am kn*ck*r*d !!  Then in the small hours when I am cold and stiff I have to carry it all in again !!

In the end I went for the HEQ5 and I am glad I did - I honestly believe that had I gone for the 6 I would use it less frequently which would be a shame.

If I had an obsy I would go for the 6 or an 8 no question but I don't and its perhaps something to consider.

Archived