NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The simple pleasure of bins...

Last night I was a bit whacked. I'm normally fairly perky on all nighters but I laid a concrete scope base in the afternoon with a temperature in the thirties and me in my sixties and I was out of petrol. I wasn't needed by our guests so I parked myself in a lounge chair and had a cruise in the 8x42s. My oh my, isn't it nice! It's great to pick out the large Milky Way structures like the vee-shaped dust feature near the Sagittarius Star Cloud.

This one...

M24%20HaRGB%20FINAL%20Srgb2WEB%2012%20HR

The North America is always a bit ambiguous for me but last night it played nicely and said, 'Here I am.'

But really it's the southern Milky Way that does it. The large globulars near Antares and the top of the Teapot were very obvious (M4 and M22.) I always forget the name of M7 and have to look it up every year (sad!) but there it was.

I think my feeling last night was that the interaction between imaging, telescopic and binocular observing is perfect. They are not rivals, they sit together perfectly and enrich each other.

Olly

Olly

Putting concrete down in that heat is not a very good idea at all if your 40 :grin: , make sure you water it for a few days to slow the drying out. I am sure you know this helps the strength. As for bins, of late with the weather it is all that I've been able to use most nights, I wasn't here as I was at a Roxette concert in Sofia but 62mm of rain have fallen in the last 24 hours  

If you saw how much concrete I have put down here in the last 18 months :eek:  that would put a few years on you, it did me.

Olly

Putting concrete down in that heat is not a very good idea at all if your 40 :grin: , make sure you water it for a few days to slow the drying out. I am sure you know this helps the strength. As for bins, of late with the weather it is all that I've been able to use most nights, I wasn't here as I was at a Roxette concert in Sofia but 62mm of rain have fallen in the last 24 hours  

If you saw how much concrete I have put down here in the last 18 months :eek:  that would put a few years on you, it did me.

Roxette, eh!!!!!!!!!!!.

You do know that comment is now in the public domain for ever and ever.......unless you ask a mod politely to remove it.

LOL. 

Last night I was a bit whacked. I'm normally fairly perky on all nighters but I laid a concrete scope base in the afternoon with a temperature in the thirties and me in my sixties and I was out of petrol. I wasn't needed by our guests so I parked myself in a lounge chair and had a cruise in the 8x42s. My oh my, isn't it nice! It's great to pick out the large Milky Way structures like the vee-shaped dust feature near the Sagittarius Star Cloud.

This one...

M24%20HaRGB%20FINAL%20Srgb2WEB%2012%20HR

The North America is always a bit ambiguous for me but last night it played nicely and said, 'Here I am.'

But really it's the southern Milky Way that does it. The large globulars near Antares and the top of the Teapot were very obvious (M4 and M22.) I always forget the name of M7 and have to look it up every year (sad!) but there it was.

I think my feeling last night was that the interaction between imaging, telescopic and binocular observing is perfect. They are not rivals, they sit together perfectly and enrich each other.

Olly

You obviously have better skies than me!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the same stuff yesterday night. The lagoon nebula is just amazing with my Nikon 8x40 Action EX. I get in the same FOV the Lagoon nebula, Trifid nebula, M21, M23, and the Sagittarius star cloud (M24).

5 Messiers in the same FOV. I switched to my 4.5 inches Newtonian, but the view was much better with my 8x40. Even more glow and nebula gas was detected in M8 / 20 with my bino rather than with my newtonian. I can't wait to view this wonders higher in the sky later on middle July.

Sounds great Olly. Unfortunately I do not think I will be able to do much of that kind of relaxed stargazing this summer, as we are going to Scotland (which apparently doesn't have a climate, it just has weather). Bright northern nights are no good for wide-field, and planets will be too low. I will have to make do with solar (yeah, right ;)) this summer. I am sure I will be thinking about the wonderful skies of Etoile-St-Cyrice.

I used some Deet based horror in Washington State and Oregon which started to melt my watch. Seriously.

I had some sunblock that melted the insulation on my earphone leads after about 20 minutes of flicking icarex on Camber Sands...

• 4 weeks later...

After using a reflecting telescopes since 1969, I finally bought the Celestron 15x70 SkyMaster bins 3 months ago, because I have bad arthritis in my right hip and can't move my scopes anymore.

I use the bins with a zero gravity lounger, which steadies my body well enough to get steady views with the bins. I have never had such comfortable viewing sessions until I got the bins. My love for nighttime viewing has been renewed. Woohoo!

Archived