Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO GT81 or TS 6" RC

Hi,

I am buying a new scope to travel with, and I've narrowed it down to 2. The William optics GT81 triplet and the TS/AT/AA 6" RC.

I have been offered a GT81 for £500 though looks brand new. The advantage to the TS is that the Euro is so good at the moment it works out at roughly £330 delivered from Germany via UPS express (that rhymes). Only problem is, the gt81 won't be great for visual, but the RC will need a reducer and a moonlite putting on it. I will be using it for MAINLY IMAGING, but a bit of visual every now and then. So many pros and cons. I know Sara uses an 6RC from Astro-Tech, which is the same as the Altair and TS one just different branding.

Any inputs?

Cheers

Cam

..... I know Sara uses an 6RC from Astro-Tech, which is the same as the Altair and TS one just different branding......

I was using the 8" AT RC carbon fibre - Was a great scope.

You say in your OP that you are using it to travel with .....I wouldn't think that a 6" RC would be a good scope to travel with.

Well these 2 scopes couldn't be more different, regardles of if you're travelling or not - WO GT81 478mm focal length f/5.9 and the RC is even with a reducer going to come out 1000mm f/6.5 ish. Have you considered the FOV you will get with each scope? It will be very different. You also need to consider collimating the 6'RC if yo're going to travel with it.

You say in your OP that you are using it to travel with .....I wouldn't think that a 6" RC would be a good scope to travel with.

Where has the RC gone Sara? Or are you just back imaging with the Tak as it's summer?

We have 10 kg to spare so that's why I was thinking about the RC

Well these 2 scopes couldn't be more different, regardles of if you're travelling or not - WO GT81 478mm focal length f/5.9 and the RC is even with a reducer going to come out 1000mm f/6.5 ish. Have you considered the FOV you will get with each scope? It will be very different. You also need to consider collimating the 6'RC if yo're going to travel

Hi.

If the WO was nearer £400 I'd have it in no time, it's just the price that's putting me off I think

Cam

They're so different! The longer FL will require much better guiding so are you up for that on a mobile rig? As well as setting up you may have to collimate each time (probably, since the RC will be moved around a fiair bit?) If  your holiday travels are mainlyin summer then what about your targets? WIth the MW high in the sky there is no possible shortage of widefield targets. A refractor will always travel better than a reflector. In visual an RC has a huge central obstruction. The point above about using a refractor on wildlife etc is also sound.

It seems as if I'm voting for the refractor!

Olly

seems like everyone is leaning toward the frac, and thats what i have gone for as i misread the email! it comes with the dedicated GT81 flattener aswell as CNC rings and a dew strap. its also 2kg lighter.

thanks guys

Cam

Archived