Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weights to balance scope

Hello,

I have a 5.5kg counterweight on my HEQ5 pro mount, and it very nearly balances the scope, but not quite. I do have another 5.5kg weight, but this then is overkill. The counterweight rod is fully extended, but it feels as if all I need is another 500g to sort this issue - any ideas, or options out there ?

Thanks

Alistair

You could try a small weight as sold in shops for hand dumbbells.  They are made in both metal (cast iron) and plastic and have a central hole.  The hole will probably be too big but can be "persuaded" with tape or maybe a convenient piece of plastic tube or short length of hosepipe or similar?

Never really thought about this. Is it better to have the weights up the rod as opposed to at the end ? - I can do this but it will load the mount with more weight, which is fine for this scope arrangement.

As per Tinker above. If you think about it the CW weights don't count towards the mount loading because ideally everything will be balanced.

I also find that having more CW weight also works to stabilize the rig.

More weight / shorter bar should equal better rigidity and stop vibration quicker than less weight / longer bar ... in my limited experience.

Or you could get a couple of cheepie dumbel weights and screw them to the sides of the proper 5kg weight, no need to worry about the centre hole size then.

Archived