Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got my new scope and I have a lot of questions!

I finallly got my C9.25" scope and set it up today. The skies cleared up really nicely so I solar system aligned it to Jupiter and was able to compare it to views from the 6SE I had for a few days - the views seem sharper/crisper and the mount a bit more stable but still there's a lot of vibration.  So:

0. Is the vibration/shaking normal with a 25mm even though it is set on concrete? I mean is this what one can expect when one has roughly 100x magnification? Will the Celestron Vibration pads help?

1. I had to use both weights to "balance" the OTC on its axes - that's 22lbs of extra weight. I can barely carry the mount. Has anyone balanced it with just the one 11lb fight or are both needed? The OTC weights about 21 lbs with the eyepiece and finder. 

2.  I think the balancing was okay since the machinery just seemed to hum - is there any way of telling by sound whether things are not balanced properly?

3. I tried entering the lattitude and longitude from my compass program but that didn't work as well as entering a nearby city. I thought that was weird.

So many accessories to get: dew shield, vibration pads, mallincom skyraider DS, motorcycle gear in anticipation of winter weather...

Thanks for all your help!

--Ram

What mount are you using? Thats the key to understanding your problems.

I assemble my mount once in position. Set up mount , add weights to previously set positions, then install OTA. May be a faff but not as heavy as carrying the full kit out.

If you need 2 weights to balance and the OTA is no small tube, then that is what is needed. Look up your mount manual, it should explain where you orient the tube to adjust balance. Usuall with the tube horizontal on one side. Slowly release each clutch in turn to see which way the mount will swing. Be ready however to catch the OTA should balance be miles off and it swings wildly arround its axis and causes damage.

I'm using the AVX mount... I don't get wild swings with one weight but there is a slight dip. The manual says I should have a slight mount of roll - I don't know how slight is slight. With two weights, the balance can be rock solid...

Yeah, I don't think I can carry the mount, tripod and two weights. I can do one weight though. So perhaps I should just use that as a guide (leave one on and just attach the other one next to it).

I think it's the cold weather that's going to be my biggest obstacle. I really dislike being out unprepared and it's too much work to bundle and unbundle each time I want to go out. I will enjoy the scope this summer and if I can get a video going then things should be better I hope... the starsense may be a good investment next month. For now, dew shields and vibration pads.

--Ram

Hello Ram and welcome to SGL.

Frederick summed the setup and balancing method up well.

To maximise your stability.....

1. Get perfect balance in both axis.

2. If you observe on concrete put some some cork tiles under the tripod feet, better still set up on grass - this prevents thermal issues caused by hot concrete as well.

3. Try to keep the extension length of the tripod legs as short as possible.

Hope that helps.

The AVX should be able to carry a C 9.25 with ease.

You dont need exact balance in fact being ever so slightly heavy on the weight side is a plus and that keeps the motors driving to reduce back lash in the gears.

When I balance mine I get that point where the tube doesn't move. Then I just try and move it either way with my hand  to overcome any stickyness in the mount. I try and get it easier to move it towards the weight rather than the tube.

Once I have that balance I measure the weight from the end captive nut so I can add the weight/s next time close to balance. On dissassembly detach the weight to break the rigs weight down further.

As to vibration I can't reaaly comment. My CG5 goto as DC motors and sound like a coffee grinder. My Vixen GP has stepper motors and is very quiet and smooth.

Hope  that helps. I did once have a 9.25 scope on my CG5 and it carried it fine unlike myself when assembling the rig. My daughter has that scope now.

When it gets to winter then a good down jacket will be the best, not sure what is available to you in the way of retailers - thinking of shop not maker - to go search round. In Canada there is MEC which is useful, but not sure about NY.

One possible problem is carrying a mount etc may catch and rip the outer fabric. Down jackets are built to be lightweight and warm not to take punishment.

As you mention motor cycle gear you must have what we call an "Andy Pandy suit" they should be good.

The AVX should be able to carry a C 9.25 with ease.

You dont need exact balance in fact being ever so slightly heavy on the weight side is a plus and that keeps the motors driving to reduce back lash in the gears.

That isn't quite right! It's recommended that you have the rising side (East) slightly heavy. This can be either the counterweight side if your OTA is to the West, or the OTA if it is to the East. I believe that this is mainly for imaging, because as you rightly say, it helps with backlash. It shouldn't make any difference for visual - you can have the set-up perfectly balanced.

Thanks a lot all - you're a big help!

Yeah, I've looked at the youtube video of this guy doing it - he makes it look so easy! But yeah, I really need to get comfortable stripping things down and back up and getting perfect balance isn't easy without practice (but I can put markings down).  I know what needs to be done - I'm just worried about the fine details.  

Grotemobile, thanks for your response. I had already ordered a dew shield and vibration pads - the dew sheild wasn't heated but if it doesn't work well I'll get the heated one.

I've been reading about various autoaligners and autoguiders and not sure what the differences are between say, the StarSense and the NextGuide - shouldn't one be able to do the job of the other? In fact, it's unclear to me why something like the NextGuide (or even the StarSense, which does its alignment based on taking pictures) can't store its pictures somewhere for later use? It seems you could get all three functions (alignment, guiding, and imaging) in one package at least for beginner purposes... 

Sct's are dew magnets - the front plate will steam up really quick even with the slightest of moisture in the air. So you will deffo need a dew band and dew controller in addition to the dew shield. :)

brantuk, I'm seeing that - so far I still am able to see things even with some mild dew on there (without a dew shield) but I usually leave the scope out from the evening I plan to start watching so it is adjusted to its ambient temperature which seems to be better than just taking out suddenly from a warmer environment and into a colder one. 

I use the cloth used to clean eyeglasses to wipe it off going from the secondary mirror (inside) to the outside (as opposed to circles which the manual says I shouldn't do). I think that is okay since the manual says use paper tissue with diluted alcohol to clean it which I think would be more abrasive...

I see you have a CPC 9.25" - have you done any AP or VA with it? If so, I'd be interested in your set up. I'm interested in what other people are doing with their 9.25" SCT particularly if they are doing VA or AP.

Better than wiping - I use a 12v hair dryer to remove light moisture - set on warm rather than hot to avoid any potential cracking of the plate due to temperature changes. Standing the scope for an hour before use is good practice to allow cool down time.

I've not done any AP with mine yet - at f-10 it's a bit slow to gather light - you can use the .63 reducer to bring it down t0 f-6.3 which will get the subs in quicker though. It's a great all round scope but I use mine for visual observing only at the moment. I have other faster scopes for imaging. However - many folks have taken great planetary shots with the 9.25 ota - and I've seen one or two very acceptable dso images too.

I chose the CPC because it has two arms and greater stability than single arm mounts. But to stand half a chance with dso imaging you'd need to use the wedge. :)

Archived