Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Online Reference to DSO's TFOV°?

Does anybody know of any online reference/media which I can gauge the TFOV of a given DSO? (particularly Nebula).

I can get a rough estimate from "Turn Left At Orion " but it's quite vague in mentioning only "low power"/"medium power " etc. The reason I ask is because I was looking into getting a lower power e'p than my 14mm, a "20mm 68°" in 1.25" format to use with my Uhc filter, but if my 14mm or even 12.5mm SPL' can fit them in easily then I'm going to delay the purchase of said 20mm.

I've been tempted into staying with 82° AFOV and would save a little bit for the 18mm Explore Scientific as my gap filler.

After a quick search online it brought me back to the lounge and to a reference I was already given a while ago, I forget easily.

I'm trying to paste the link here as example but its not having it!!!! It's the 12 Dimensional string Field of view calculator. I'll throw some nebula into it and see what I get.

Thanks for the fast reply -alebaran-

After a quick search online it brought me back to the lounge and to a reference I was already given a while ago, I forget easily.

I'm trying to paste the link here as example but its not having it!!!! It's the 12 Dimensional string Field of view calculator. I'll throw some nebula into it and see what I get.

Thanks for the fast reply -alebaran-

Was this it?

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

You need to be a little carefull with that simulator when trying out ultra and hyperwide eyepiece possibilities. I'm not convinced that it handles the field v's target object apparent size changes in the way they actually occur.

agree john i went through the ethos range on a lot of DSO's...it almost put me off getting the 8E...

You need to be a little carefull with that simulator when trying out ultra and hyperwide eyepiece possibilities. I'm not convinced that it handles the field v's target object apparent size changes in the way they actually occur.

Good to know John, I don't use it but was just aware of it. I use Sky Safari and just change the custom FOV to match the eyepiece if I need to.

SkySafari pro here too! Although for the wider eyepieces you do need to crane your neck a bit to get the full FOV. You can have several Fov circles on screen at once. This is fantastic for fine star hopping.

I found the tool on 12Dstring a bit misleading (loads off other cool stuf on that site though).

Paul

Archived