Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

distant Shakbazian galaxies

nytecam

Light night under a bright gibbous moon I targetted some very faint and distant gx in the Shakbazian Compact Groups of Galaxies.  Shown here [data on images] in Shak 253 in CVn and even smaller group  in Shak 14 in Bootes in distances of up to a billion lightyear range.

Shak 253 follows the lead by Martin Meredith in the Video Forum with very brief exposures via fast optics and cameras [typically Lodestars].  This technique vastly outperform the eye at the EP in stellar penetration at the same scope to go really deep.  It's essentially realtime download to laptop via a single USB lead.  Suburban light pollution [and moonlight] are of little consequence to observing and imaging !

More Shaks from last night to follow ;-)

post-21003-0-14002000-1430471926.jpg

post-21003-0-33962800-1430471953.jpg

Excellent work and glad to see you didn't wait for the moon to recede! You're making the extra FL count with better separation of the close pair and starting to see some orientations. This really is a brighter group than the magnitudes suggest, I guess because they're so condensed.

I've another SHK group -- 172 -- from last night to post later (I bet those Shakhbazians a billion LYs away are wondering what they've done to deserve so much close attention).

Martin

Archived