Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

meridian and celestrial equator

The Jackal

Hi can someone please help me. I know this is a dumb question but I live in the Southern Hemisphere and please can someone tell me where is the meridian and celestial equator? I need to know this in order to find a star to point to for phd drift alignment.

Regards

Software is easier as described above.  Your local meridian is the imaginary line joining North and South that passes directly overhead your location.  The celestial equator is the imaginary line that joins East and West and its position above the Northern horizon (in your case) is dependent upon your latitude. Subtract your local latitude in degrees from 90 and that gives you the angle of the celestial equator above your horizon looking due North.

So Stelerium shows Equator and Ecliptic. which of these are meridian and celestial?

Hi

Just use Stellarium compass marks to orientate yourself :) The Meridian passes through 180 deg and 0 deg. The celestial equator is orthogonal so passes through 90 deg and 270 deg.

Here's a useful link for the Southern Hemisphere: http://www.ozscopes.com.au/How-to-Polar-Align-Equatorial-Mount-Southern-Hemisphere (you have some wonderful dso targets down there!) 

Louise

Hi

Just use Stellarium compass marks to orientate yourself :) The Meridian passes through 180 deg and 0 deg. The celestial equator is orthogonal so passes through 90 deg and 270 deg.

Here's a useful link for the Southern Hemisphere: http://www.ozscopes.com.au/How-to-Polar-Align-Equatorial-Mount-Southern-Hemisphere (you have some wonderful dso targets down there!) 

Louise

Thank you Louise, you are a Star :)

So Stelerium shows Equator and Ecliptic. which of these are meridian and celestial?

Press the ; key it will highlight the meridian in green, press the , key it will highlight the celestial equator in blue.

Dave

Software is easier as described above.  Your local meridian is the imaginary line joining North and South that passes directly overhead your location.  The celestial equator is the imaginary line that joins East and West and its position above the Northern horizon (in your case) is dependent upon your latitude. Subtract your local latitude in degrees from 90 and that gives you the angle of the celestial equator above your horizon looking due North.

Software is fine but if you want to understand where you are and what you're doing then you really should read the last three sentences of this excellent post until you've truly understood them. Sorry if I sould like your grandad!!

Olly

Archived