Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from SunCoast (Spain) Dobson 12 vs 16?

CHAMACO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome, Mary and Charon ;-) Yes the final setup with the observatory and 24" will be so nice, but that will be in 2 years. In the meantime I have to enjoy views with either 12" or 16" dobsonian. That will be my intermediate scope. Which one do you suggest?

I'm leaning towards full tube 12" for two reasons:

(1) Right now I don't have space enough for an observatory for the 16",

(2) and I don't feel so confortable to set up and build the 16 truss telescope every time I want to observe. Looks much easier the 12 full tube, just grab and go.

Any thoughts will be very welcome.

It makes sense to go for the 12" If that is the scope that would get used the most.

It makes sense to go for the 12" If that is the scope that would get used the most.

I agree Mary. For me the most important sentences in amateur Astronomy are:

- The best scope is the one you use the most.

- The best OIII / UHC / Hbeta filter is gasoline.

i like your planed setup ,owning a 16in would be a dream for me, but im happy with my 8inch 200p for now. i wish we had your weather, here wales is a good place for watching cloulds.all the best.charl.

Thanks Charl, for me is also a dream to own a 16. Right now I only own a 114/900 reflector  :embarrassed:  Yes, we are so lucky with the weather in my place, with around 300 clear sky nights a year  :cool:  When my future observatory with the 24" is finished, all of you will be invited  :police:  at least 2 years for that... I have to learn in the meantime with a nice mass producer scope (12" or 16")

Thanks Charl, for me is also a dream to own a 16. Right now I only own a 114/900 reflector  :embarrassed:  Yes, we are so lucky with the weather in my place, with around 300 clear sky nights a year  :cool:  When my future observatory with the 24" is finished, all of you will be invited  :police:  at least 2 years for that... I have to learn in the meantime with a nice mass producer scope (12" or 16")

So where are you in Spain? I've managed 4 images this year........ the weather has been dire. I need to move!!

So where are you in Spain? I've managed 4 images this year........ the weather has been dire. I need to move!!

Sara, I'm in a nice place near by Sierra Nevada, the biggest mountains in Spain (several mountains higher than 3000 m). My home is at 1100 m of altitude, but with mountains higher than 2000 m at 30 min by car. Where are you?

Further south than me then ...... I'm near Valencia.

My current home is between Granada and Jerez del Marquesado, in the green/blue color of light pollution map

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9&lat=4447453.92494&lon=-355776.45623&layers=0BTFFTTT

My future home will be at blue/transparent.

Here you can see Valencia, what is your color? 

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8&lat=4786222.83425&lon=1948.83609&layers=0BTFFTTT

Welcome from another corner of Spain!

Thanks Jarrod (not harrods). Nice place Alicante.

I thought all of you lived in UK, but I see most of you live in Spain or you plan to come here! :cool:    All of you will be very welcome.

Best wishes

Archived