SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Who or what inspired you to take up amateur astronomy?

Naf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Patrick Moore book or at least i think it was endorsed with forewords by the man. I can remember being a young lad, under 9 for sure and being down in Penzance in Cornwall for the family holiday. My dad took me into a toy/sweetshop/general type store and said i could have whatever i wanted. I remember racing around like a kid in a toy/sweetshop/general store looking at the world of possibilities when this glossy softback book on a twirling rack caught my eye. On the front cover was this full colour beautiful image of Horsey and i was mesmorised and despite numerous attempts by my dad to change my mind that was the item i left the shop with. I pawed over that book and those beautiful glossy pics for years not really understanding the text but hey loving the scenes. Sadly I lost it quite some years ago in a house move and can no longer recall what it was called :(

Paul do you remember any of the How and Why books? I think that they had ones on telescopes and microscopes similar to the Ladybirds.

michael

I most likely came across them but don't have any enduring memories of them.

I had a few Ladybird books. I can't remember their titles but another favourite of mine was about building a transistor radio.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Well that's a great response, I noticed a lot of comments about the Moon landings and the space race through the 60's, I also followed this with a great deal of interest and excitement, I remember the day Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon and took those first steps onto the Moons surface, right there live  on a fuzzy black and white TV viewed by the entire school , teachers and one transfixed 14 year old who knew this was the greatest event in history and an  absolute inspiration to me.

Also there is a theme running through the comments of having taken the hobby up at a young age only to drift away for a few decades, but then to return with renewed interest and passion which this hobby seems to instill in us all. Please continue with your very interesting stories from which we all will be entertained  and  if any visitors to the forum should be inspired by our reminiscing , then we would have accomplished our aim, clear skies. :smiley: :smiley:

For me, it must have been when I was about 8. Voyager 2 was approaching Neptune and it was fascinating to see this planet for the first time in detail. This fired my interest and I read anything I could get my hands on about space and the solar system. This must have been when I first crazed my dad for a telescope (but to no avail). My hobbies changed through my adolescence, but I always retained an interest.

I must have mentioned this story to my wife, because unexpectedly she got me a 4.5inch reflector for our anniversary! I was instantly taken back to those days as an 8 year old and started skipping around like an excited schoolboy :)

It was (and still is) a steep learning curve, but I'm still really enjoying it!

At grammar school, we had a lovely maths teacher , Miss Newton. She was descended from the Isaac Newton line. After doing the math, she'd draw orbits and planets , explaining gravity and space. I suppose that lit the fire of discovery, which sadly went out with marriage, work and kids.

Now with early retirement , time and patience are not an issue and I try to inspire others,

Nick.

Always had an interest in the night sky but my first view of a Lunar Eclipse in 1996 set things off for me. Then the Solar eclipse in 1999 sealed the fascination. First scope wasn't until 2005 though. First views of the Moon, Jupiter followed later by Saturn all in same summer and a lifetime marriage was sealed! :grin:

Yup, like many as a kid growing up in the 60's The Space Race had my attention. My Grandad gave me a pair of binoculars and I pointed them at the Moon. Since then I've never stopped looking up in wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived