NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Made some Baader solar film binocular filters

jonathan

While the solar observing specs are on back-order I decided to have a go at making some binocular solar film filters, so ordered an A4 sheet of the Baader solar film and downloaded the Baader instructions.  While the translation may have lost out on one or two small things it was very easy to follow the guide to build my own objective filters using the film and some white card.

The view through them is better than I had imagined, there is some granularity visible (like a gradient around the edges of the sun giving it a spherical appearance) and right now I could see three large areas of sunspot activity.  The colour is white as advertised, with shades of grey and black.  I could just make out the branches of a tree that were close to the sun, probably just their shadow I could see as they blocked some of the sun's energy.

As per the instructions, I held both filters up to the bright daylight to check for any pin [removed word] holes before using them with the binoculars.  They are a snug fit for sure, no chance of them coming off once they are firmly pushed on. [can't believe the profanity filter removed a word meaning to make a small hole with a pin!]

These fit my 8x42 Bushnells, I'm sure a larger pair of binoculars would show an even better view.  I may attempt to make one for my 102 refractor with the remaining portion of the A4 sheet.

All I need now is a safe piece of tupperware to carefully store these in.  Would be interested to see what others have made with solar film.

binocular%20solar%20film%20filters_zpshr

I did the same thing you did several years back for my 20x80's - fantastic white light views - granulation, faculae and sunspots.  I actually prefer the view of the Sun through my 20x80's over the solar view through any of my other instruments.  The Sun through bins really takes on a 3-D/spherical appearance.  By happy coincidence, the filters I made for the bins also fit perfectly on my 90mm scope.

Archived