Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My very first image

The Jackal

Hi Guys,

So after months of research and praying for clear sky's, i finally had a clear night in which i took my first image. 

Unfortunately during the process i had two big hurdles.

1. The one was I didn't have a good polar alignment as i only found out after that there is a difference between true north and magnetic north.

2. I need better stacking software as DeepSkyStacker just don't cut it when it comes to proper stacking and editing of images. I eventually took the plunge and got Pixinsight this weekend and mange to do my first image in it.

Anyway enough talking.

The image was shot with a GSO 8" f/4 Reflector, Advanced VX mount and Orion auto-guider with PHD.

Took X30 25 second photos which was reduced to X9 of the best as i had problems with the camera (shutter speed went bonkers on me).

post-39914-0-39497200-1429538738_thumb.j

Excellent image, first go or whatever go  :cool:.  If you are looking for an alternative stacking / processing program, check out the month free trial of PixInsight.  I hated DSS, but PI is great once you have followed a couple of the tutorial vids :).

Nice first image. You need to look at your tracking as the stars are a bit elongated. You have good colour saturation. It's a great start- well done-it can only get better from here!

yea i must admit the tracking was not perfect and i know i can better it. I used a western star which in South Africa was Rigel and my mount settings did say dont use a star directly in the west or east but rather in the east/west.

Archived