Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus 14/04 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

My first ever attempt at Venus and a very rushed affair with only two captures through red and PP742 filters as I was poorly sited and losing Venus behind the shed roof!

post-26731-0-28435500-1429053418.png

I will have another go at this later, but need to find a guide for stacking and processing technique as this is a different game to my usual targets!

Thanks Alan and Peter, I've just been doing a little research and it does seem that Venus will be something of a tough nut to reveal any cloud detail at all.     Some incredible results on Emil Kraaikamp's website - looks like a UV-PASS may have to be added to wheel.

That is a very nice start a real sharp image. You are correct regarding Emils image simply stunning, but i gues the 16 inches of aperture helps as well. i have used the Pro planet or a violet filter myself with out much difference  a UV-PASS looks like it is worth a go.

That is a very nice start a real sharp image. You are correct regarding Emils image simply stunning, but i gues the 16 inches of aperture helps as well. i have used the Pro planet or a violet filter myself with out much difference  a UV-PASS looks like it is worth a go.

Cheers Pete, the 16" F5 would be a real beast with substantial eq mounting requirements, though I believe this is on dob mount with eq platform.    I think this is it:

Rik%20Horst%2016%20on%20Dual%20Alum%20Pl

The money saved on a big GEM would go a long way towards good optics and a good equatorial platform, though keeping the whole thing dew free in UK humidity would be a challenge (though this is equally true of the big SCTs)!    Certainly some food for thought in comparison with a C14/CGE Pro bundle costing £ 10K+!

I do have the Proplanet 742 for IR-PASS (used in this shot), but will look to find a W47 and IR-Cut - though not sure I can use both stacked in the FW.    The narrow band UV 'Venus' filters are expensive for a one trick pony and may not offer enough transmission for me with a mere 10" aperture.

Archived