First night...making it up as I go along

So, my first scope (Skywatcher Explorer 200P with GOTO) arrived yesterday.

As many of you will be aware the instruction manuals for the Skywatcher and the Synscan are not the best or most detailed, certainly if you are new to the hobby, but (aided with a few searches on this forum) I managed to get the mount and tube assembled. I didn't bother to read the SynScan instructions, apart from figuring out what the arrow keys do. Far too dense and pictureless, for somebody who doesn't know his Azimuth from his Hour Angle.

With everything assembled I had a quick go at balancing and then decided to align the tube and finder scope.

The instructions told me to pick an object that is at least 500 yards away but, living in a built up area with no view of the horizon, the best I could do was a blurry street light about 50 yards away.

Now, to have a go with those arrows keys...except the short power cable, or course, only has a cigarette lighter. Bah! Back here for a search on power options and then a quick trip to Halfords (just before closing) to pick up a mains to 12v lead.

With the power sorted I had a quick play around with the motors, much to the enjoyment of the kids, and then retreated to wait for night fall.

Around 9.30, I tried to pick up the whole assembly and carry it into the garden, around 9.31 I took off the tube and tried carrying the mount into the garden, around 9.32 I took off the counterweights and then actually managed to carry the mount into the garden.

I actually managed to get everything re-assembled, re-balanced and powered up in only a few minutes (although I skipped the leveling), so was ready to go by about 9.40. While assembling the clouds had rolled in, but had rolled out again by the time I was ready to go, but visibility was still probably not great.

So, what now?

Well, there was a bright start hanging above the house, so I thought I would try to point the scope at that. My wife reckoned that it was Jupiter (bless her) but I explained to her that it was definitely a star. I started by turning the tripod towards the star...well it wasn't as if I had polar aligned! :) and then used the motors to line it up as best I could. Had a look through the eyepiece...nothing, or maybe something but how do I know if the thing is focused?

Ah-ha...the finder scope...had a bit of a fiddle with the motors and managed to get the star in the cross-hairs, and then excitedly peered into the eyepiece...nothing...perhaps that street-light had been a bit too close.

Then the panic started a bit, I started randomly slewing the scope around with the motors, peering into the eyepiece, focusing in and out, slewing again, peering straight down the tube to see if I could see the star that way, back to the eyepiece, focusing in and out, crouching down at the bottom of the tube to see if I could get it aligned that way, and so on and so on.

The kids (bless them) tried their best to help by complaining and asking when they could see the star, every minute or so.

Finally, I decided that the finder scope probably wasn't that far out, and so started a more structured search out from the cross-hair, but still no star until, after another 10 minutes of searching, I suddenly saw a large white disk, totally out of focus...could this be it?

As I turned the dial to focus the disk got sharper and sharper until....I actually gasped...are grown men supposed to gasp? I could see the bands straight away, and moons..."I can see the moons!"...incredible.

Turns out that it wasn't a star at all, it was Jupiter...who would have guessed, eh?

The kids had a look and went to get their mum, and then I looked again...it was trying to escape out of view! All that time searching and it was going to escape! "Align the finder-scope!" I screamed silently...and so I did. Bit tricky when it is moving out of view so fast, but at least it was an object over 500 yards away.

We didn't really look at much else, just looking at Jupiter over the next hour was pleasure enough, but I was finally brave enough to move on to a nearby star, and then back to Jupiter to check that I could successfully use the finder-scope.

I went to bed feeling very lucky to have managed to get such a good view of such an interesting object on my first night (I probably didn't deserve to given my lack of preparation) and a realisation that I have lot of learning (and fun) ahead of me.

Making it up is allowed, actually it is essential at first but get prepared to apply a bit more thought. Especially after you do the initial main objects - about 3 to 5. Then you have to think about what to look at.

Next aspect is to get it reasonably polar aligned, things drift out a bit slower then.

I suppose after that is the amusement(pain) of actually aligning and getting the data in and getting it all done.

Write down all data and read what the scope handset asks for.

Power is a pain, I use an extension lead and AC-DC converter from Maplins for the garden.

Fun and learning go hand in hand ... Oh, and frustration is in there, too. And that is best followed up with a helping of fulfilment liberally sprinkled with gratification.

Have fun!

"As I turned the dial to focus the disk got sharper and sharper until....I actually gasped...are grown men supposed to gasp? I could see the bands straight away, and moons..."I can see the moons!"...incredible."

I bought my scope 2 years ago, having never looked at the heavens with any great enthusiasm before.  I started to align the scope to three stars, did the first two, and had the same reaction as you when I realised the third star was....Saturn. Clear as a bell, rings an' all. I not only gasped, I shed a small tear, I kid you not. To see something like that, just doing it's thing, totally oblivious to the fact it's being observed, plus the fact that I was seeing it directly, not via computer or tv screen, totally bowled me over.

I showed someone else and they summed it up by saying they "felt honoured" to have seen it like that.

I have the 200p on a Dob mount, a mighty fine tube!

Green Laser got mine a few days ago just waiting on the mount, and all in for £40. Prob need £50's worth of double sided tape, cable ties and hot gluegun sticks, but hey no crick in my neck going to bed.

Your trial and tribulations sounds a bit like my first effort and I was polar aligned, sort of and GoTo was well out. Although I was blown away by Alcor and Mizar ( I am easily satisfied). :shocked:

It gets easier with practice and patience. I found the first four or five attempts out with my scope I spent more time setting up than actually observing but once you do set up properly it is a lot easier and things tend to stay in the view finder.

That is a great report and takes me back to my early days with a scope. 

I actually managed to get everything re-assembled, re-balanced and powered up in only a few minutes (although I skipped the leveling), so was ready to go by about 9.40. While assembling the clouds had rolled in, but had rolled out again by the time I was ready to go, but visibility was still probably not great.

When you have your scope balanced you will find it helps to mark the balance points with a small piece of masking tape, makes next time easy.

Good luck, there is loads of good stuff to see with your scope.

Green Laser got mine a few days ago just waiting on the mount, and all in for £40. Prob need £50's worth of double sided tape, cable ties and hot gluegun sticks, but hey no crick in my neck going to bed.

Brilliant profile pic!!

.......Around 9.30, I tried to pick up the whole assembly and carry it into the garden, around 9.31 I took off the tube and tried carrying the mount into the garden, around 9.32 I took off the counterweights and then actually managed to carry the mount into the garden....

LOL... good post - good sense of humour! .... which you'll definitely need when it comes to sorting polar alignment!

Have you any books to refer to ? . Turn left at Orion is very well regarded and is a very good friend when looking and identifying items.

Thanks, I will certainly pick up a copy.

When you have your scope balanced you will find it helps to mark the balance points with a small piece of masking tape, makes next time easy.

Ah, of course, so simple. Thanks for the advice. I don't think that conditions are going to be very good for the next couple of days, so I might just set it up in the garage, balance and then mark the positions as you suggest.

Archived