Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20mm make a big difference?

33% more light gather, so really not a lot.

Think it was said that you need to double the area to make a noticeable difference.

If however it is buy a 130 or buy a 150 the 150 is the better selection as you will not (possibly) want to consider bigger as quickly.

A lot depends what you want the scope for, 20mm means heavier and a bigger mount which could be an issue if you want ultra portability and if you intend any imaging with it then smaller is often better (well easier).

Alan

I'd sooner have a 130mm that is optically excellent and has a good mount plus portable and convenient, than a 150mm that has none of those attributes.

Of course a 150mm with the above features would be nicer.......

What I'm trying to say is that aperture is important, but very definitely not the only consideration.

Regards, Ed.

So I wont be able see any galaxies with a 130?:'(

I've been able to see galaxies with scopes of 60mm aperture and upwards. Binoculars will show some of them. What I think Robin (rwilkey) means is that 150mm of aperture is where perhaps the brighter galaxies start to show some of their characteristic shape and form. Dark skies are also a great help of course !

Archived