NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The ultimate 2" eyepiece for my Tak 100?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a review of the Meade 30mm and the 31mm but sadly then my notes were handed to me by my son to help start the wood burner, in the dim light I didn't notice, also notes of 4 other tests. Now I record note, I'm not likely to throw a machine in to start a fire.

That was about 16 hours work down the pan, If I recall the edge was better on the Nagler was also showing greater edge of field distortion. The 30 mm Meade was a little softer in faster scopes (F5.26) at the edge but a close second on axis, all in all a nice eyepiece.

My advice would be if you like quality and can get a secondhand Nagler, do so if not buy the 30mm Meade of ExSc.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Thanks - it'll only be used in my f7.4 Tak so I don't think a lot's going to be asked of whichever eyepiece I choose in those terms. 

The weight of the ES 30mm (and the Nagler 31mm), is half as much again as the Panoptic though, but at the low magnification they give, I don't think it will be a problem. Instead of filling it with Nitrogen why don't ES fill it with Helium? Idiots. 

I think using the term "ultimate" in the thread title tends to lead to talk of Tele Vue or Pentax :smiley:

Sometimes even Zeiss, Nikon, Takahashi or Leica.

There are a number of alternatives that are very nearly as good, especially in slower scopes.

I think using the term "ultimate" in the thread title tends to lead to talk of Tele Vue or Pentax :smiley:

Good point. I also suspect a lot depends on the person using it and how the observe. I tend not to look critically at the view trying to find faults so perhaps the small percentage increase in performance of a Televue isn't good value for money for me. 

I have an FSQ106 I've used a bit for visual. Thus far I've only used two EPs, a ES100 20mm and an Ethos 13mm. The Ethos is such a wicked good EP I have a difficult time imagining a better one. Had I purchased anything less it would've meant compromise, the destroyer of dreams [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osbourne,

No blackmail going on from me, I am talking from a positon of having owned all the eyepieces you talk of and the same as suggested second level in the shape of 30mm meade Series 5000 and as pointed out in your scope even i would be hard pressed to call it names. I am rather assuming the ExSc is exactly the same, something we can never be absolutely sure of, but it is going to be very close with only coatings being different, maybe. There is no real evidence I have seen to say one is better than the other.

For me my advice stands if a S/H Nagler drops by and you really feel you want an eyepiece that goes to eleven, then buy it, if not the 30mm ExSc will be great for you and I am sure you will be happy.

Alan

I'm being emotionally blackmailed into buying a Nagler. This is exactly what I wanted to happen.

i felt the same way about the ethos range...great at spending other people's money aren't we!!!

That's my wife for you; she says she doesn't regret a single day since we met...without ever specifying which day that was. 

Looking good for a Nagler then. Guess I might need a 2" Deep Sky Filter for those objects too?

has she got a sister :grin:

A 40mm Burgess TMB Paragon is incredibly light weight and as pure as the driven snow. At 70° AF it would give X18.5, a 3.8° true field and an exit pupil of 5.4mm. It would give a brighter sky background than the 31 Nagler but at a fraction of the weight. The 31 Nagler weighing one third as much as the FC 100 could cause some balance issues.

On the other hand, the 20mm Nagler gives a truly dark sky background, tak sharp to the edge and is great for fuzzy finding.

Mike :-)

Thanks Mike - don't think they're available any more, unless a used one crops up of course. I don't think balance will be an issue as the Porta Mount is pretty stiff and I do have a fair bit of adjustment along its dovetail, but we shall see....I've enquired about the Nagler, but something in the back of my mind says it's too good to be true. 

Archived