Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best collimation Method?

Then personally, I would suggest laser. But with most things in Astronomy, a lot is down to personal choice. I have a Cheshire and laser and I've never bothered to rework out how to use the Cheshire!

+1  wookies comment.

I tried all three, the cap, the laser,  Cheshire sight tube (long tube).

The cap works, the Sight tube is the most accurate, the laser is great when used with a Barlow for a quick field check.

I also found Astro Baby's guide worked well for me, read and re-read until you understand the principles. It all becomes so simple after a few attempts.

I use a cap and Cheshire, the cap to see the mirror clips are in

position, as I can't see them through the Cheshire, but the Cheshire

all the time, once you get it right you only need to test and tweak

if needed, I check mine before every session, most times it's only

out a tiny turn.

I'll 2nd. AstroBaby's collimation guide:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Make it all quite lucid and easy to digest. So many others only leave me shaking my head <rattle, rattle>

And 'Yes' to laser as well. I use both a laser and a Cheshire sighting-tube. The Orion LaserMate Deluxe II is low-cost and come set for exact collimation of the laser itself. Much less costly than many highly-touted others. I could afford the big names, but this Orion does an excellent job:

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&siteCode=US&keyword=LaserMate+II

Clear & Collimated Skies,

Dave

Hi Neil,when I got my first newt I had the same dilemma ,eventually went for the premium cheshire from flo ,I made my own cap and I find collimation really easy and straightforward,after as already said follow astrobabys collimation tutorial it really does help,good luck

Gow

Is it possible to to do without a laser or by buying a cap etc? Not exactly flushed for spare cash at moment, and it's something that need do to to my scope.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

The Astroboot website have a low cost collimation cap with a luminous centre for just £2.50 plus P&P at the moment. It's about halfway down this webpage:

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

It's not as precise as the Cheshire eyepiece but it will help get you going.

You can make a simple cap using the focuser dust cap, just needs a small 1mm hole in the centre, so would need something (tape) or other to block the hole when not in use. A 35mm old film case is another option, you cut the base off the cup, then replace the grey lid, again with its 1mm centre hole. The purpose of the cap is just to align the eye to the axis of the focuser. A Cheshire sight tube will be more accurate.

My Celeston didnt have a spot, having only a spherical mirror. It was suggested in the manual, the scope is returned for collimation!

I centre spotted the mirror for fun, and no improvement after collimating?

If your 130P is second, its possible the spot has detached, or even dissolved during cleaning. Mine did on my 200P? Im using a ring binder strengthener at present, but its a little too big. Im still searching for something smaller?

I thought the 130P did have the central spot (thats the parabolic F/5) but the 130 and 130M don't (those are spherical F/6.9). I might be mistaken though and FLO know their stock better than I do !

Archived