SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gina's DIY All Sky Cam - Complete Redesign

Gina

That should be an easy one to fix.  You just need to install the FITS library.

$ sudo apt-get install libcfitsio3

should do the job.

James

Thanks James - I'll try that :)

A bit later... Done that and app is now running :)  HOORAY :)  Thanks James :)  Next will be to connect QHY5 and test...

post-13131-0-93052200-1428828043_thumb.j

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have connected QHY5, rescanned and chosen QHY5 from the list but getting "Unable to connect camera" error.  I've tried various USB ports.

If you choose Administration->Users and Groups from the main menu there's a "Manage Groups" button that allows you to add yourself to the users group.  Then you just need to log out and log in again.

There will be a neater way to handle this eventually :)

James

Gine, this shows you are a "user" on the system.. not that you are in the users group. Click on the groups tab and you'll see a list of groups. One of them is "users" and you should be able to edit it to add yourself to it.

Rodolphe

Thank you :)  Not quite that but in the Users window I could choose myself and click on the groups I'm in to bring up a list of groups with tick boxes.  I just had to tick the "users" group to add mayslf to that group.  Then, after a reboot I'm in the "users" group.

post-13131-0-38085900-1428872715.jpg

That's better :)

Is oacapture still behaving the same now?  The other thing I noticed from your earlier post was that your QHY5 has a completely different USB vendor id and product id from mine.  I know there are several, but it's possible I didn't know about the one you have.  I shall check that now.

James

Looks like I did know about that one, so we should be ok there.  If the file /dev/QHY5-0 exists then that part has definitely worked and the firmware is loaded into the camera ok.

James

It's working :)  Thank you James et al :)

I have the ASC in bits ATM working on version 2.1 :D  with light proofing :)  Don't have the camera and lens at the right distance for focus but I can see an image.

I've been experimenting with micro servos and concluded that they are not ideal for focussing this lens.  I have found that there is just enough room for a 28BYJ-48 stepper motor so I'm going for the type of remote focussing system I am most familiar with :)  I may use a micro servo unmodified for the shutter power with plastic and solar film shutter. 

The QHY5 PCB, shutter and motor etc. will be enclosed in a black ABS two part light proof casing.  The stepper motor fits between this and the bottom of the box.  It will drive the present focus gear with a small pinion, replacing the manual drive.

I guess it makes sense to put an Arduino Nano with ULN2003N driver chip in the same box rather than having a multicore cable to an Arduino somewhere else.  Now if I could find a tiny 2 port USB hub I would only need 1 USB cable and the 12v supply.  I seem to remember doing something like this for the LX mod for the Philips webcam.  Wonder if I can find the info :D

That's really good news :)

James

Yes :)  I'm hoping to have everything ready for testing the new hardware with oacapture tomorrow.  I have to modify the lightproof casing (which also serves as the main frame) to take the stepper motor.  Alternatively,  I could just reassemble the present bits and test oacapture (quicker).  If I draw the curtains I might be able to test the camera with oacapture in the living room :)

I recall the two-port hub I used for my LX mod came all moulded into the plastic housing for the two USB sockets.  I had to cut the moulding open to get at the cable ends to be able to reduce the cable lengths, wire the USB->serial adaptor straight into the hub without a plug and socket and make them fit neatly in the box but that was it.  The actual hub bit was a PCB barely 30mm by 15mm.

James

Archived