Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's DIY All Sky Cam - Complete Redesign

Gina

This is better - probably a case of getting gain and exposure right :D  BTW the picture is upside down :D  I've just got the camera on its pole resting against the living room window.  If I turn the camera to make the image right way up the weight of the solar film causes the shutter to open partly.   All associated equipment indoors.

The tiny PCB USB hub works with the QHY5 with Linux but not with Win 7.  The Arduino is OK with Win 7 - not tested with Linux as I haven't yet developed a Linux control app.

post-13131-0-70142400-1429206962.jpg

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Camera and pole now stuck out the window on the south side so doesn't have the window glass and secondary double glasing to look through.  Still with shutter closed and solar film over sensor.  I think the solar film is reducing the clarity of the image - it seemed much better without.

I think I'll go out and put the pole on the obsy corner post as the ASC appears to be working properly.  I may focus with the Asus (Win 7) and view with the Dell (Linux Mint and oacapture) then once I've set focus I can unplug the focus USB and plug in the camera into the Asus and Win 7 with PHD2 until it gets really dark and then SharpCap.

post-13131-0-71864600-1429209572_thumb.j

Well, it's back up in position and everything is working :)  WooHoo :) :) The Dell is now working with TeamViewer (also the Asus).  I can get pixel focus on my weather station pole which might be alright for stars too but I'll know when the stars appear :D  Here is a screenshot via TeamViewer of the oacapture image and controls.  It's dark enough for the shutter to be open automatically and this pic is without the solar film filter.

post-13131-0-55113100-1429213524_thumb.j

My VB focussing app as designed for my triple scope imaging rig.  With single imagers the scope selection radio buttons do nothing - they are ignored.

post-13131-0-58256100-1429214028.jpg

I can increase the exposure time limit if necessary.  It's somewhat arbitrary for the QHY5.

James

That would  be useful James :)  I go up to something like a minute in SharpCap.  An extra range of 10-100s would be great :)  I have increased the gain to pull out more stars but this is causing funnies - I think more exposure is what's really wanted.

I shall be going over to Windows imaging shortly (now that I'm satisfied with the focus) for the extra exposure - sorry...

I mean leave it running and connected up with the application running.  I have a vague recollection of seeing that second pattern once, but I have a feeling it disappeared and after that I wasn't sure what had caused it or even if I'd imagined it.

James

SharpCap at 60s exposure.  Lots of cloud now - obscuring the stars :(  Noise and hot pixels now showing but I think dark frame subtraction would help with this.

post-13131-0-99445400-1429218028_thumb.j

And here's a stack of 3 subs of 20s for comparison.  Not a lot of difference AFAICS.  The fixed pattern noise is the main problem rather than random noise.  So dark frame subtraction is more important than the ability to stack frames it seems.  Unfortunately SharpCap doesn't have dark frame subtraction.

post-13131-0-75701800-1429218785_thumb.j

I mean leave it running and connected up with the application running.  I have a vague recollection of seeing that second pattern once, but I have a feeling it disappeared and after that I wasn't sure what had caused it or even if I'd imagined it.

James

Yes, that's what I thought and no, the pattern doesn't disappear.

SharpCap 3x10s subs.  One thing I like about Sharpcap is that is has a Frame exposure progress bar (green, bottom right).

I've noticed that the focus has gone off slightly.  The stars of The Plough are showing again but are no longer pin sharp :(  Maybe I should add the temperature control :D

post-13131-0-51770500-1429220056_thumb.j

Daytime image now - captured with PHD2 0.1s with solar film - sunny with plenty of cloud about.  I see no way any capture software could handle the immense contrast provided by having the sun in the image but I would love to be proved wrong :D  I'll pop out and switch imaging to the Dell Linux Mint oacapture setup shortly :)

post-13131-0-00805700-1429263387.jpg

Multi-scale Adaptive Contrast Enhancement is the first thing that comes to mind Gina .. maybe one for the forums coders to think about on a rainy day ;)

That sounds good Cath :)  Wonder what James thinks :D

Archived