E.S 82

paul mc c

Hi,quick question about these eyepieces,should they fog up on the inside,i was using it tht other night and noticed that the view was fogged up thinking it was the outer lens i give it a quick blast with the hair dryer which should have sorted it but when i used it again there was no change,so on closer inspection i noticed it was actually on the inside.

By the way it is the Argon purged.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul, I have got ES82's and have never had this problem, mostly AR's but one or two N2's.  My thought is that this should not happen and it might be interesting to refer the problem to Explore Scientific (EU) and see what they say.  I would be most interested to hear of any problems as these ep's form the core of my collection.

Hi Paul, I have got ES82's and have never had this problem, mostly AR's but one or two N2's.  My thought is that this should not happen and it might be interesting to refer the problem to Explore Scientific (EU) and see what they say.  I would be most interested to hear of any problems as these ep's form the core of my collection.

I have just sent an email to E.S so will let you know what they say.

Paul,

I think Ben hit the nail on the head, send it back. As Robin pointed out these are the hub of many members collections and as friend from Aberdeen with a rather long name, Dude stated, it was part of the advertising .

I know they are different but I never had any of my K 5000 Meade' s fog other than if I breathed on them by accident.

Alan

ALWAYS the dealer first.

Stupid question, but are you definitely sure it's the inside that's fogged? I've never had an EP of any variety fog up on the inside, least of all the ES82s I had, or the ES100s which I do own. Even my old 32mm Panaview which has big lumps of glass and virtually no attempt at sealing never fogged up and I had that dripping in dew on occasion.

Even if someone had opened it up and only 80% N2 purged it, I still wouldn't expect it to fog up.

Russell

ALWAYS the dealer first.

Stupid question, but are you definitely sure it's the inside that's fogged? I've never had an EP of any variety fog up on the inside, least of all the ES82s I had, or the ES100s which I do own. Even my old 32mm Panaview which has big lumps of glass and virtually no attempt at sealing never fogged up and I had that dripping in dew on occasion.

Even if someone had opened it up and only 80% N2 purged it, I still wouldn't expect it to fog up.

Russell

Yes definately inside,i also have never had an eyepiece that fogged inside,it actually got worse when i used the hair dryer on it,that was when i realised that it was inside.

If it's been registered with ES it should be covered by their Lifetime Warranty.

I know of another SGL member who bought an ES eyepiece (ES 20 / 100) from the USA and found a fault in it. He did manage to get another sent over I believe.

As Russell says, it should be the dealer that you contact first though.

I registered the eyepiece with E.S when i got it,i will contact Agena and see what they say,its funny i noticed this before but thought it was just the usual fogging and just changed eyepieces and went on viewing.

If it's been registered with ES it should be covered by their Lifetime Warranty.

I know of another SGL member who bought an ES eyepiece (ES 20 / 100) from the USA and found a fault in it. He did manage to get another sent over I believe.

As Russell says, it should be the dealer that you contact first though.

I had a fault with my ES82 18mm and Hands on Optics exchanged it so fast, the two must have crossed mid-Atlantic! Likewise, I have a fault with an Antares F6.3 SCT reducer and Agena said don't worry about sending it back and just offered a full store credit, mainly because there are issues at Antares at the moment.

You are right about the ES Lifetime Warranty, as it covers all ES products bought in the USA. However, customers outside of the USA will be responsible for all shipping costs (in both directions) and have to lump it if UK/US customs take a different view on duty/VAT. In my experience, the dealer has always shouldered the return shipping charge and been 'helpful' with the invoice value, so it certainly may be cheaper to try the dealer route first.

Either way, it's going to get sorted.

Russell

Interesting thread and would love to know the outcome from both ES and Agena. Having looked at these ep's  and nearly pressed the wallet button, I guess one bad one does not condemn the ep, but it will be interesting to see the customer service received from both the manufacturer and dealer.

A friend ordered a 100 & 120 deg version of these from agena, and the service was excellent.

Paul,

The only thing I would say is that I have always found dealers excellent without exception when they are selling things and I don't just mean astro gear, it is when you have a problem you find out just how good they are. I have had a few problems with a very large dealer that I now only use if there is no other way and have to or go without, I will not use the US, I found their attitude was awful and so did my local dealer who is a friend, he is none to impressed with them.

Anyway i hope all goes well.

alan

Well Agena got back to me and basically told me that E.S should replace the eyepiece but i would have to pay all postage and what ever handling and taxes i will incure,they told me that was the risk i took buying from a U.S dealer,to be fair to Agena they said they would mark the package as defected goods and that may reduce custome fees.

Now i think if i do send it back it could cost me in the region of £60...... is this really worth it.... lesson learned that buying  from over seas may not be worth it should any thing go wrong,thank God it was'nt a larger and more expensive item such as a telescope.

I suppose i can always use the eyepiece on nice warm nights .

PS. still waiting from a responce from E.S.

Paul

sounds harsh,but this is the risk we all take when buying from US. At least they are accepting returns what is positive.

Have you tried contacting ES in Europe? It is going to be far cheaper to send the faulty EP to Germany (ES in europe) as to USA and you will have no taxes or any other complications and will only cost you maybe 20-25quid if you have to cover the postage to and from.

sounds harsh,but this is the risk we all take when buying from US. At least they are accepting returns what is positive.

Have you tried contacting ES in Europe? It is going to be far cheaper to send the faulty EP to Germany (ES in europe) as to USA and you will have no taxes or any other complications and will only cost you maybe 20-25quid if you have to cover the postage to and from.

Why would they be interested? It wasn't their sale and it's not their warranty.

Russell

Archived