Heart and Soul DSLR no joy

I tried imaging the heart and soul nebula last night with my camera only (no scope) and came away with nothing. I did a various exposures/settings including a 3 minute exposure but I couldn't see anything. I understand that this is an emission type nebula so an unmodded camera is going to struggle with this, but is there a way of getting it without needing to modify the camera? If not this target are there any other types of emission nebula I might be able to have better luck with? I had a quick look into the costs of modifying the camera but I don't really want to do it at the moment as I have other expenses I'm saving for ie. better mount and scope. Any tips welcome, cheers.

I think you'll struggle without a modded camera I'm afraid, without a good Ha signal it will be difficult to distinguish the nebulosity from the background light of the Milky Way. This is what I got with an unmodded camera and a 135mm lens.

14796083407_3f3756dfd1_c.jpg

Can just about make out the shape of the Heart nebula above comet Jacques on the left, but only if you know what you're looking for.

I tried imaging the heart and soul nebula last night with my camera only (no scope) and came away with nothing. I did a various exposures/settings including a 3 minute exposure but I couldn't see anything. I understand that this is an emission type nebula so an unmodded camera is going to struggle with this, but is there a way of getting it without needing to modify the camera? If not this target are there any other types of emission nebula I might be able to have better luck with? I had a quick look into the costs of modifying the camera but I don't really want to do it at the moment as I have other expenses I'm saving for ie. better mount and scope. Any tips welcome, cheers.

It is very faint even with a modded DSLR at 600sec.

We are leaving the season for the bright emission nebulae now as the Milky Way is lying low. They'll be back in a couple of months though. Unmodded cameras really are pretty blind to faint Ha from what I've seen. Once a guest tried the North America in an unmodded camera and got next to nothing. The following year he came back with the same camera modded and it was clear in all its glory.

Olly

I thought this was going to be the case. So if I was to go down the modded route, what sort of modification is needed? I am also finding that light pollution is a big problem too, is there a combined mod that could sort out both those things?

Archived