NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pixinsight - DBE Tool Examples

frostynixon

Hello everyone,

so far i only used Deepskystacker and Photoshop as my software tools. Uniform gradients are somewhat doable in photoshop but everytime i had more complex gradients in my picture i was kind of stuck. Then i heard of the DBE tool in pixinsight. 

I downloaded the trial and after playing around i was able to remove a double ringshaped gradient with very little effort:

Demonstration of Pixinsight DBE tool

There`s still a slightly uneven background at the right picture but it`s almost unnoticable to me.

After this i`m basically sold on the software :)

It would be nice if you could also contribute your DBE tool successes!

best regards

I have to post another example. I revisited my old M45 image with PI and this is what came out:

Reprocessed M45 with Pixinsight

I watched the eight first beginner tutorials by Harry and already functions like color- and background calibration seem so much better than my manual actions in photoshop. I wonder what else thsis software has in stock...

I wonder what else thsis software has in stock...

It can even plate solve and annotate your images. The plate solving is a bit hit and miss for me, but when it works the annotations are gorgeous.

DBE alone is worth the Pixinsight asking price. It does indeed remove gradients but it also gives a really durable colour balance which is likely to survive all sorts of pushng and pulling during stretching. I also run SCNR green at the ealy linear stage.

Key DBE pointers for me are,

- remove all edge artefacts first. ie crop.

- keep markers very well away from any nebulosity, galaxy etc.

- Don't use too many but make them good.

- Check the gradient model, stretched, to confirm that it shows a pure gradient and no vestige of the content of the real image.

Olly

Archived