Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10" Dob What do you use around 24mm?

Koje

So I find myself using my 20mm Plossl a lot and would like to upgrade.

I have a Meade 5000 UWA 8.8mm and 14mm plus a 32mm Skywatcher Panaview which are great but I tend to use the 20mm the most.

My focuser can accept 2" but I would prefer something 1.25" as I plan to get a Refractor when funds allow.

What do you use and recommend in 20mm to 24mm range?

I'm thinking around the £150 mark but could stretch it a bit.

Looking at Vixen LVW, Explore Scientific perhaps another Meade 5000 if I can find one. Even a second hand Televue or Pentax but that might be a stretch.

Thoughts?

I posted a review on the Meade 24mm SWA which is by all accounts the same as the Maxvision 24mm SWA. It was batting with the Tele-Vue 24mm Panoptic which is a better eyepiece but not by massive amount. It was really only the edges that let the side down in my faster scope, give it a read, you will find it in the Equipment reviews.

Alan 

Like Kevin and Alan say ^^^^^

The MV 68° 24mm is my most used eyepiece in my 10" dob. I may upgrade to a Nagler 22mm T4 at some stage. But I'm in no hurry.

The more expensive ES 82° is likely to be good too. I have been impressed with their 30mm 82° version.

Paul

I use a 24mm 82 degree Explore Scientific. Fantastic eyepiece and a reasonable price if you know where to look. 

I agree.  I have one that I use on my AD10.  However, it is a monster.  I have a one-pound welder's magnet that I stick on the bottom of the tube when using it... keeps me from having to overly tighten my azimuth clutches.

Archived