NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LRGB using RGG as L

Space Cowboy

Trying new ways to improve detail and this seems to work well without spoiling the colour balance of the image. Using 25% red and 75% Green as Luminance you keep the same colour balance but gain some sharpness. Both images have identical sharpening applied :

post-4016-0-77903400-1424002966.gif

I do LRGB and YRGB with L and yellow wratten filters, but that with atmospheric dispersion corrector (required for L, sometimes also for yellow) and it's much better than any of single channels. You can try also XRGB type image where X would be combined R,G,B into one mono image (like in WinJUPOS).

Its interesting doing a blink comparison Something ive noticed many times, is the dark material in the GRS really shows up in the green, So of course doing this will enhance that a lot. And using your blink we can see that's the case.

I agree it also messes with the colour less than RRGB

I tried the same recently on the sky watcher shot I think, But it seemed noisier. I will certainly remember what your showing here, on captures where the green is comparable to the red. I do have one such shot from Feb 2nd, so might try that at some point. Good example Stuart, And a nice capture and processing too.

Thanks Neil its a subtle difference on this one. The blue channel was pretty good anyway so maybe on poorer seeing the difference will be greater as the influence of blue is reduced. I did try this on one if your images Neil and like you say it turned very noisy which puzzled me.

Thanks Neil its a subtle difference on this one. The blue channel was pretty good anyway so maybe on poorer seeing the difference will be greater as the influence of blue is reduced. I did try this on one if your images Neil and like you say it turned very noisy which puzzled me.

You got me worried now, when I tried the straight RGB it was very smooth, then bang a load of noise. I assume that's what happened to you very weird ?

Blimey Stuart haven`t a clue about the technical aspect but all I can say is it has made a hell of a difference! A super capture to begin with anyhow :smiley:

Best regards,

Ralph

Interesting stuff Stuart.  I seem to remember trying something like this towards the end of last year.  I must try and find the images, just checked the laptop and they aren't there, but hopefully they will be on an external drive somewhere!

Angie

Archived