NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Tee 2

vlebo

I like the idea of the slo mo controls on the Sky tee 2 as opposed to the push to set up of the Altair Sabre mount , but was wondering if they are comfortable or easy to use when there is a large frac mounted on it as they seem a little akward to get too while viewing.

Does anyone have any experience of this ? i am looking at mounting a 152 mm Achro on one.   http://www.tringastro.co.uk/starwave-152mm-f59-achromat-refractor-7921-p.asp

Thanks

I went from a AZ4 to the skytee 2 and really like it, mainly with 100mm f10 frac, 150p ds newt and 150 pro maksutov, i find the slow mo' controls very easy to use, and can be fitted with flexible controls if needed, if you can get a 2" cg5 tripod it becomes a very stable mount

I found the slow mo controls on the Skytee II difficult to reach when I had a 152mm F7.9 refractor on it. I did try a longer flexible control stalk on them but I found those  introduced vibrations which took a while to dampen down. My Skytee II had some backlash iin one of the motions which I guess I could have tuned out.

There were other good things about the Skytee II though - it was a bit of a "curates egg" for me, good in parts.

In my experience using this mount, if you are viewing at high magnification and having to make frequent adjustments it can be a pain as there is a degree of fumbling for the knobs. At lower magnifications with less frequent adjustments it is much better. I use the flexible control stalks and have found they work well for me as they reduce the 'fumbling' and reaching for the knobs and is more comfortable to for longer viewing sessions. However the problem with stalks is that when you move the mount in azimuth, the altitude stalk moves but the azimuth one does not meaning that they could end up a long way apart which is not very convenient. I get round this by lining the two stalks up so they are both to hand to view an object, and when i need to slew to another object i lift the entire scope, mount and tripod round to the new position, so the controls are still to hand. That seems a bit extreme but is actually very easy with the C8 and a lightweight tripod but may be an issue with an 11kg refractor and heavy tripod!!

As you probably already know you will need to factor in an additional £60 for the upgraded ADM saddle or at the very least a few quid for better saddle knobs (the supplied knobs are soft aluminium and are prone to threads being stripped - this actually happened to me resulting in a scope crashing to the ground).

Rob

I have a SkyTee 2 mounted on a Berlebach wooden tripod. I use extended slow motion controls.

I use this mount for my Orion VX8 Newt or Skywatcher 180mm Mak/Cass or 102mm APO frac. All I can say is I am very pleased with set up. I also use the mount for solar observing mainly the PST on the top and the 4" frac on the side.

You will need to change the saddles and I have an ADM on one side and the Baader on the top.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

The attached photos,although not large scopes, gives you an idea of my setup.

post-1628-0-55118000-1423944571_thumb.jp

I sold my skytee 2 for this reason I could not reach them when I had my 150 reflector on it ,and my 200pds was a  even worse ..( the 150 newt and a az4 are a match made in heaven..) and the altair sabre mount will handle a 200pds I loved it using it dob style..

I sold my skytee 2 for this reason I could not reach them when I had my 150 reflector on it ,and my 200pds was a  even worse ..( the 150 newt and a az4 are a match made in heaven..) and the altair sabre mount will handle a 200pds I loved it using it dob style..

Thanks for the replies . I think I will go for the Sabre Mount. The two I tried at Astrofest dids seem very smooth and easy to move around and unfortunately nobody had a Sky Tee 2 to compare.

Archived