Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An alt-az mount for 80mm refractor

Michael11

I am looking for a compact alt az mount under 300$ for my 80mm ED refractor. And I`d really like to have slow motion controls on it. 

I had a dwarfstar before, but it was really unstable. Now I am looking at vixen porta 2. Will it be stable enough? I have a quite heavy photographic tripod I`d like to use, but I`m not sure which head will fit it. Any alternatives I may have?

Vixen Porta 2 may be your best option for the budget it gets good reviews on here. As mentioned AZ3 is OK but needs a bit of tweaking out of the box. You might be able to stretch to a Skytee 2 if it fits your existing tripod.

Thanks,  

And is there a way to attach porta2 head to a photographic tripod?

Also -  if I add a canon 500d dslr to the telescope - won't it be a stretch in terms of payload capacity?

There is an adapter from Vixen that allows the Porta II head to be mounted to a 1/4" screw - you'd need to tap it out to 3/8" if your tripod canopy only has that size thread. Part number is #3942 and shown here under our stock code of 73942:

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/porta_II_mount.htm

HTH

Cheers, Pete

I have an Astrotech Voyager which is fine with my 80ED and DSLR. Not sure whether these can still be purchased but I believe Teleskop Service currently offer a clone. I can provide more info if you wish.

I also use an ED80 on an Astrotech Voyager, works well.

Orion Optics UK supply this clone of that mount http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/alt-azmount.html

Regards, Ed.

Archived