Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colour or Mono Guide Cam/Planetary?

t0ny

Hi, so I need a guide cam and have been set on a mono due to the increased sensitivity (so I read).

However thinking about it, if possible, I'd like to do a bit of planetary with it.

Should I go colour? Would it make it harder to find a guide star, which I've never done before!

Id focus on a good mono camera especaially for planetary, a filter wheel and a set of Filters is going to cost a bit more down the line but for the present Id get a Astronomik Planetpro filter and stick with mono while you cut your teeth, then moving upto RGB to get your colour later on, when you come to guiding for DSO imaging its going to be a far better choice too.

I

Getting lots of recommendations for that cam, but for the colour so I can do planetary.

As a beginner I don't know if messing with filters would be too much?

Don't be put off using mono & RGB filters,as a beginner myself earlier last year i too pondered on this.

Here's one of my first attempt's at Saturn with asi120mm filter wheel and filters. I'm glad I made this choice as I now want to use cam for guiding.

Good luck.SATURN_RGB FINISHED-1.bmp

Kenny

just to add a contrarian voice, I've now used both ASI ZWO colour and QHY5liic colour guidecams for guiding, and both work very well, no problems with finding a guidestar at all, and they do make it easy for planetary, since no need for filters etc.

I think i marginally prefer the QHY.

Hi all,

Looking at exactly these same choices at the moment. Am erring towards the QHY. Stuart (glowing turnip) why do you prefer it? How are you finding the software and stability with any capture software. Any issues?

I am currently being swayed towards the mono cam but am not 100 percent sure. The QE on the mono does make it much more tempting. But then which filters and wheel to buy! (will post in another thread)

Thanks

Steve

I went for the QHY5L-II mono for my Orion TOAG. I found that gettings things parfocal a bit of a challenge, as for a nikon an 8mm C extension (didn't come with the kit) and a couple thin shims (did come with) were required. I believe for a Canon a 6mm extension would be needed, as flange to chip distance on a Nikon is about 46mm and for a Canon, it's roughly 44mm.

I wish I could report that guiding was now going smoothly. Unusual, just as I got things sorted, the clouds rolled in for the last week.

Guide stars are bright and easy to find, if the clouds allow.

I did try stacking some video of the moon, seems promising. Hope to make a mosaic.

post-37593-0-99721000-1424148627_thumb.j

Archived